Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Cold coolin' at a bar and I'm lookin for some action, but like Mike Jagger said, I can't get no satisfaction

I rarely find myself in the O.C. The Happiest Place on Earth doesn't count, because it is it's own little world. Otherwise, I really don't venture beyond the Orange Curtain on the regular.

But with the SiL here we had to go visit family, so we headed south. On the way to lunch a store caught the kid's eyes - they went nuts the minute they saw pink and white striped walls because that meant only one thing, ice cream. I promised them that we'd stop in after our family lunch. In reality it only looked like an ice cream parlor. It sort of was, but when you went inside it was -- a paletas store! It was so weird. In every sense it looked like your typical american ice cream parlour, but when you went to look in the cases there were piles and piles of homemade paletas. Paletas are Mexican street food - ice pops, but here they were behind refrigerator cases in all their glory.The Kid chose strawberries and cream, the Baby had mango, and the SiL went for cookies and cream. Paletas can be savory too, which is why seeing pico de gallo and cucumber was such a hoot.
The kids enjoyed their treat, and we went on our way. I can't even remember where this place was, (all those streets and mini malls look alike down there - one of the reasons I'm not a fan of the O.C.) but I do love finding new little places when we go on our adventures. To the kids, frozen treats equals ice cream either way, so they were beyond satisfied.

There is very little Mexican food in Hawaii, and the SiL definitely wasn't feelin' it. She said it didn't taste like ice cream, so she tossed hers after a few bites. I shoulda made her try the TUNA.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Calee said...

I'm guessing the tuna wasn't fishy but what we would call a prickly pear--the fruit the comes of a cactus.

Any general neighborhood ideas as to where you were. We OCers would like to visit.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:16:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

What a cool find. I wonder why pina is green...?

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:44:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 2:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL im mexican and tuna is a fruit not tuna the fish ahahahahah

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 11:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home