Thursday, January 29, 2009

I'm tripping on the best dream that I never had
I guess behind the orange curtain is not so bad

Yes indeed-y it's winter here in Los Angeles. Which means you should wear a scarf with a t-shirt, and Uggs with your miniskirt. Bascially it's chilly, but sunny - absolutely perfect weather if you ask me. More importantly, it's citrus season!

A quick trip to the farmer's market and you can see oranges, lemons, grapefruits all at their peak. I bought a lot of fruit as I do every week, and while they are great to eat on their own, I couldn't wait to use them in recipes too. I felt like little mini cupcakes were in order, but instead of going with the typical lemon, I'd change it up a bit use my new lovely oranges. All the oranges are fantastic right now but I just used a regular navel, nothing fancy. They came out nice and well - orange-y! Especially good when topped with a vanilla glaze. YUM.
I like to cook with seasonal food if possible, but here in Southern California we are spoiled since there really is no 'bad' season. Everything is perfect pretty much year 'round, but for now, citrus is where it's at.

My mind is swimming with all kinds of dessert and dinner recipes to use up this fruit. I have to say though, mini cupcakes are terrible things. You can eat several of them and not feel a thing. I'm sure my scale feels it though.Mini Orange Cupcakes with Vanilla Glaze recipe

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Merrie said...

I love the plate -- where did you get?

Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Dawn said...

These sound SO tasty and perfect! I must make them.

I also love the plate, and the Red Riding Hood glass.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:49:00 AM  
Anonymous cc said...

You are causing me to have unhealthy cravings. I do not need help in that department.

Oh, and digging the plate.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home