Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mouth is alive with juices like wine

I have been wanting to go to Ford's Filling Station for some time. I usually always wait a while when a restaurant opens up. One, I want to make sure it lasts and two, I want to make sure they get their bearings. The chef is Ben Ford (son of Harrison) and he's been getting rave reviews for this place for some time.I was all set to make a reservation when Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Foods Los Angeles came on tivo. Oh lord. They showed Ben Ford boiling an entire baby pig in a pot. What. That does NOT sound like typical bistro food to me.

In any event, I made the reservation. My mom has season tickets to the Opera and I like to take her out to a nice restaurant before the show. (Let's just say this production of Carmen, not all that.) I thought Ford's would be different and a quick place to catch a bite on a Sunday morning.
The service was...slow. You know it's slow if I have to physically get up, hunt down the waitress and say ME WANT FOOD. I didn't exactly use those words, but that's how I felt. Perturbed and hungry. The menus sounded great, but when the food finally did arrive...eh. Mine was REALLY bland, almost flavorless. My mom seemed ok with hers, but not wowed. I am always looking for a wow factor. The appetizer was by far the best dish, but really, can you go wrong with Burrata? I think not.
WTF is up with this chicken? It's like it's staring at me...I was VERY disappointed in this meal, which ticked me off, only because I want my mom to have the best dining experience if we are going out at all. My Aunt and Uncle recently tried the place and had great things to say, so who knows, maybe I need to go back and give it another shot. Still, there's no way you're going to get me to eat a boiled baby pig. No way, no how.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Sizzle said...

It does look like the chicken is staring at you with its lemon eyes.

Baby pig? While I actually eat pig (mmm bacon!) the thought of eating anything "baby" kind of makes me want to be a vegetarian again.

Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:25:00 AM  
Blogger Aida said...

You should have taken her to Honey's Kettle Fried. It's not exactly opera fare (maybe Opry), but always finger-lickin-tasty. Did you at least salvage the day with a Surfas visit?

Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Hilary said...

Ford's is overpriced and nothing special. I think one of their best dishes is the fish and chips. Sad eh? And the service has tanked over the last year. Akasha down the street is a million times better!

Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:31:00 AM  
Blogger HPhammer said...

Hi Jenn! Ok, I mostly lurk, but I love your blog and wanted to comment because I just last night updated my own blog with a short review of Ford's...I think we had a much better experience than you did, but with so many cool places to try (especially in Culver City now), I'm kind of thinking we'll only go back if we remember to order the pig in advance!

Hilary, we did cocktails at Akasha beforehand and that place looks killer -- I think it's next for us!

Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Brent said...

No boiled pig parts? Good thing Pinks hot dogs are vegan. Right?

Oh.

Wait...

Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:40:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Brent, hot dogs don't have faces and feet. Well, maybe they do but I keep my eyes closed when I eat them just in case...

Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:13:00 AM  
Blogger Lilcee said...

anything boiled baby is a big No in my book of Good Eats.

Oh I made the Kalbi recipe you posted from your post about OG's birthday. He loved it! My husband is now in love w/ you.

Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:02:00 PM  
Blogger The Daily Randi said...

We have Frequented Ford's and I agree with Hilary. The food is overpriced and the service blah. However, we have found it it great as A Bar as long as you can Get A Seat. The Bartender is usually quite Attentive and their Cheese/Meat Plate is Delicious. Except they don't let you Mix And Match Cheese And Meat for The Plate which we think is Ridiculous.

We usually just go to dinner at Tender Greens and then go next door for Booze.

xoxo,
TDR

Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Hilary said...

Wait--didn't you, me, Nanette, and Jami eat at Ford's? I swear...?!

Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:26:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Hil, that was the incredibly horrible Fraiche, where the waitress encouraged pregnant Nanette to drink.

Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Hilary said...

Oh I remember Fraiche. But for some reason I thought I went there with you guys too. Must have been other peeps, oops!

Friday, January 16, 2009 8:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home