Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Hey donkey. Say hello to your mother for me.

Jenn: "They are making a new Star Trek movie, but in their younger years."
Mom
: "Like Muppet Babies?"

Jenn
: "YES. EXACTLY LIKE MUPPET BABIES."

I love my mom. I keep telling her I will kill her if she turns into O.G. because I can't deal with two crazies. My mom's birthday is this Sunday. Last year was the big 6-0 with surprise party at Ciudad. This year I am making dinner at home for the whole family, a big dinner. I won't say my plan, because I suspect my mom still reads this blog despite the fact that I told her not to because it annoyed me to hear, "Did you go to the...museum lately??" (wink wink nudge nudge) Uh, yes dammit, how ever did you know the very specific details of this trip? Ugh.

When I was a kid I hated my mom's cooking. I just thought it was blah. I knew there were better things to make for dinner, so for all my complaining, my mother - typical librarian - took me to the library and told me to look through the cookbooks. I would sit there forever poring over the different recipes putting together ideas and menus.My mom's favorite of all things are cinnamon rolls. It is the one thing I have shied away from making all these years because I HATE working with yeast. Something about the smell makes me just, yuck. But I have so many bread books, I'll have to overcome it someday. When I saw Ina Garten take her cinnamon roll recipe, but break it down to just using pre-frozen puff pastry, I was in awe at how stupid I was to not think of it first.

It wasn't perfect, so I altered the recipe some, but it was still that delicious smell, the crunch, the butter, absolutely wonderful. This recipe is a hint of what's to come for my mom's birthday dinner party. Mom, if you are reading this, which you shouldn't be - it's your birthday dinner on Sunday. See you at 5.

Puff Pastry Cinnamon Rolls recipe

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

I bet Muppet Baby Spock would be adorable!!!

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:55:00 PM  
Blogger ZooKeeper said...

Those cinnamon rolls look delicious. I started panicking because the first time I clicked the recipe link, it didn't work. My daughter is having a birthday party/sleepover this weekend. I might have to make these for her little friends for breakfast.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:18:00 AM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

I am totally going to make those this weekend. YUM.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:43:00 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Please help me...I was cracking up at the title of this post. HILARIOUS SNL reference. One of those "even-funnier-after-the-fact" skits.

The cinnamon rolls are on the menu for this weekend. Too yum!
Thanks for sharing.
I flippin love this blog. You crack me up!

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 9:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I happened upon your blog recently and am shocked at how much we have in common. You really are hilarious! I bet my twins will love this cr recipe!

My mother had a regular dinner she made. It consisted of white rice, sausage, and cheese whiz all mixed together. I am a vegetarian now.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:29:00 AM  
Blogger Lilcee said...

mmmm, those cinnamon rolls look soo good. I'm tempted to make them.

Best of luck on the dinner party. I can't wait to see what u come up w/

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home