Thursday, February 19, 2009

I say come on Mike D, let's flash some dough


Bored kids. Nothing is worse on a rainy day. Except for...bored me.

After watching the kids play with play doh the other day, rolling and cutting all those colorful pieces of dough, I thought it would be fun to make cookies. I love cut out cookies...if it's just me doing the work, but the kids want to help of course, and the mess that comes with icing, decorating, well - it just gets on my last nerve. Yes, I am completely anal about cleaning, we all know this.

So I thought, why not dye the dough, and nix the icing? Brilliant plan. I made a basic cookie dough (Martha Stewart's cookie book page 241) and then separated the dough and dyed each portion. Gel dyes are the best because they have strong colors and don't water down anything. The result was fabulous - bright bold colors, the only down side was that I had to wash the bowl in between a color changes.
The dough was easy to work with and baked up so delicious that it didn't need icing anyway. The kids had blast - the Baby went for dinos of course and the Kid got creative with trucks and trains. I must admit, I really got into it myself:

I was quite proud of my cookies until the Kid saw my fire truck and became Super Critic because I "didn't have a hose or a ladder," so he had to school me and make one better than mine. Geez man, I didn't realize I was in a design competition WITH A 5 YEAR OLD. Meanwhile, after about two cookies, the Baby realized that he didn't even have to participate, if he just waited long enough he'd get to eat them anyway. Sheesh. If only he'd use these mental powers for good instead of evil. Overall the kids had a great time and I'm already planning to do this again on the next rainy day.

Dyed Cookie Dough how-to, here
.

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger bethany actually said...

Dyed dough! That's just brilliant! I am totally going to use this. I am seeing Easter egg cookies in our future.

Friday, February 20, 2009 1:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella said...

Great job and great way of distracting kids too :D

Friday, February 20, 2009 6:24:00 AM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

I think I might have to do this with my nephew soon. Those look great!

Friday, February 20, 2009 10:26:00 AM  
Blogger Lilcee said...

they look like playdoh, pretty cool. must store it for future use.

Don't hate me but i think the kid wins on his fire truck.

Friday, February 20, 2009 12:09:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

good job. it's not easy to find a good cookie dough to work with. as for dying it...well, it's beautiful. I don't think I'd have the guts. great job.

they used to make powdered food color but I've never seen it to try. I have the wilton paste pots and they've lasted eons.

Friday, February 20, 2009 1:49:00 PM  
Blogger Badness Jones said...

That's fabulous! I can't wait to try it. And I'm with you on the paste dyes.

Wednesday, March 04, 2009 3:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Lindsey said...

Does the dough contain raw egg? Is there one that does not?
Great idea!

Wednesday, March 04, 2009 5:10:00 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Saw this over on Crafty Crow-what a neat idea-thanks for sharing. This will be fun for all my girls.

Wednesday, March 04, 2009 6:07:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Lindsey I've seen dough that is made with peanut butter which looks fastastic, but my kids are allergic.

Wednesday, March 04, 2009 7:32:00 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Great idea. My son would get a kick out of making "play doh cookies".

Wednesday, March 04, 2009 9:24:00 AM  
OpenID gilmic said...

Such a great idea. This will definitely get tried out in our house. Thanks.

Wednesday, March 04, 2009 12:08:00 PM  
Blogger Lynn in Tucson said...

Brilliant! Just brilliant!

Monday, March 09, 2009 8:24:00 AM  
Blogger Nonie said...

I found this via the Crafty Crow and I love it! I can't read the brand label on your gel dyes - what are they?

Friday, March 13, 2009 9:49:00 PM  
Blogger joanh said...

omg, LOL again.. your kid is hilarious.

btw, where do you get the cookie cutters? they are fun

Tuesday, October 06, 2009 5:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home