Friday, February 27, 2009

I'm an artist, honey, you'll see me sometimes, making crazy pictures out of music and rhymes

I always kid my Uncle that he will only frequent mom and pop stores. It's like unless they yell out his name like "Norm" from Cheers, he doesn't want to give them his business. While I joke about it, I understand it. In this day and age there is nothing to help the little guy get by in these economic times except for the faithfulness of their customers.

Raw Materials is an independently owned art store downtown, and I always try and go there for supplies if I'm in the area. I've written about them before, and am so glad that there are business owners taking part in downtown revitalization. The Kid's interest in art continues to grow, as does the junk that comes along with it. I've been trying to start building his own stash of art supplies because he is always pilfering mine. I knew I needed to get him an art bin, stat.While I was there, I picked up yet another sketch book for myself, and a bunch of pens. I always seem to lose pens. At work I always go to put a pen behind my ear and there is already one there. It's like I'm Grace from Ferris Bueller. I am pen crazy.

I also saw that they had canvas on sale at 50% off. I thought for a few bucks, I'd have a great art project on my hands with the kids. When I got home, I set up the canvas and let the kids have at it. While it didn't go quite as planned, it was my fault because they wanted to use watercolors on the canvas, which frankly, I was all for. I am down with giving the Kid acrylics or even gouache, but to be fair - the Baby wanted to participate too, and hellz no am I going to have that mess on my hands.
Still, the kids took to it right away. The Kid spent hours on his canvas, grabbing pens, stamps, every medium you can think of to cover his "masterpiece" as he called it. I think I'm going to buy him a few more so that we can try out different things. For just $3 a piece it was a good investment in creativity.

If the Kid is the next Van Gogh, then the Baby is probably the next Banksy. For god's sakes he came home from school the other day with ink all over his back. What. How do you even do that? It's like he got tagged by a gang in a bad neighborhood. Looks like my next shopping trip I'll have to pick up cans of spray paint and extra bail money.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous kat said...

oh yeah. if you can find cheap canvas, snatch it up.

Friday, February 27, 2009 2:56:00 PM  
Blogger celia said...

I'm so bummed that I miss you every time you come by our store! Thank you for this wonderful write-up on your blog and thank you for the delicious vegan brownie cupcakes!

Friday, February 27, 2009 8:23:00 PM  
Blogger Lilcee said...

It sounds like the Baby just threw down some markers and rolled around in them.

Tuesday, March 03, 2009 10:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home