Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Angela drafted me onto the party planning committee. She said that we need to prepare for every possible disaster. Which to me, seems excessive.

I started a catering business. It's called, "My mom is having a staff meeting and needs desserts, asap." Doesn't quite roll off your tongue. No, I am NOT opening a baking business, but my mom did need sweets for a meeting she was having, so I happily obliged. This not working thing is killing me. I can't function unless I have 100 things to do, I don't know what to do with myself. This helped.

It was also helpful because I am doing yet another baby shower. Much like Nanette's, it's going to be mostly desserts, so this was my opportunity to try out some recipes, and see how'd they look, etc.My mom loves pralines. I have been wanting to make some recently but with the moisture in the air, forget it. They'd never set. So I found this recipe on Martha Stewart and it was REALLY good. I made a few adjustments, but man, does it sure stay true to the taste of a good old Southern praline. Plus they are awfully uniform and nice looking for an event.

Then I made O.G.'s fave vegan brownies. Only I made them into mini cupcakes, with chocolate chips. Not totally vegan, but what the hell. I don't think the staffers will care. I like to use the yellow flower liners whenever I do chocolate cupcakes, it makes them look like little sunflowers.

I packaged everything up with labels and all, and in the end - it kinda did look professional. My mom is my only client and she doesn't even pay, so if you ask me this business is pretty lame.

Praline cookies recipe
mini brownie cupcakes recipe

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger jami said...

Funny - I saw these (http://technicolorkitcheninenglish.blogspot.com/2008/09/aunt-mary-dillons-praline-cookies.html) recently and thought they looked neat. Wonder if they are the same recipe as she references Martha...

Wednesday, March 04, 2009 8:07:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Hey! That is the same recipe, but I changed it to work better for me!

Wednesday, March 04, 2009 8:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Dawn said...

What's the deal with pralines and moisture? I've never heard of that. Learning new things all the time over here! :)

Thursday, March 05, 2009 8:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Party Hire Sydney said...

Hey, Nice recipe, I will use it for my daughter's birthday party..

Thursday, May 21, 2009 11:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home