Sunday, March 15, 2009

Edina: I'm chanting as we speak, bye-bye, darling.

Thank you. So much. I appreciate every kind word you left me. That's why it's with great sadness that I have to tell you, things have gotten WORSE. What the. Am I cursed or what? What happened to my once undeniable good luck? There better be a big payoff for this or else.

As if depression and death weren't enough, Friday I found out that due to certain circumstances (my old employer), I will not be getting ANY unemployment. None. Nada. Zero. Zip. I don't even want to talk about it anymore it makes me so physically sick. The people at the unemployment office were very kind and compassionate, but there's nothing they can do. Speaking of, everyone in that place was a 40 year old man, except me. Is this my demographic?

With tears in my eyes and nothing in my pocket, I moved on. I left the office to get my car checked out. Luck beyond luck, I needed $600 in maintenance. Wow, really? Cause I totally have the money for that, let me just cash my unemployment check...oh snap! I DON'T HAVE ONE.

So I left there feeling pretty awful and thought, to get my mind off things, I'd go see Watchmen. Bad idea. It was pretty bad, and honestly, I didn't think the story translated to the screen at all. Not for lack of trying, I saw what they were trying to do there, but no. Just no.

And that's when it clicked. This is the end. I have hit the worst of the worst situations. Watchmen just clinched it. After going through all of these series of events...there's no where to go but up. Honestly. I have hit the absolute rock bottom.

This is becoming almost comical. And so I have to focus on positivity. I have to. What else do I have left? I have a plan. A plan to kick karma in the nuts and stand back and wait for a slot payout of rainbows and flowers. Too much? Ok then, I am going to start by focusing on two things that make me happy, and move on from there. Coffee. And mochi.

Things are going to get better. They have to.

Coffee Mochi recipe

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger diana said...

Sucks.

You're in my prayers.

You're right..things can only get better... ;)

Sunday, March 15, 2009 12:02:00 AM  
Blogger CrazySpanishGirl said...

damn it!
but as you say, there is only one way now, and that's up up up and away :P

Sunday, March 15, 2009 1:37:00 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

I don't understand...how can you not qualify for unemployment benefits when you get laid off? Of course, I work for the MAN (the state) so I don't really think about those things.

Sorry about your string of misfortunes. Hopefully, things will start looking up.

And thanks for the Watchmen review. I was debating whether to see it now or wait until it's at the $1.50 second-run theater.

Sunday, March 15, 2009 4:46:00 AM  
Blogger michelle said...

oh, my ... it can only get better from here. i also don't understand how you can't get unemployment benefits when you were laid off ... here in canada that would be pretty much automatic ... then again, we also have 1 year maternity leaves, so we may be different than the states. :)

Sunday, March 15, 2009 6:33:00 AM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

How can you not qualify for unemployment when you were laid off? That seems incredibly unfair and WRONG!

Sunday, March 15, 2009 9:01:00 AM  
OpenID discotrash said...

if you were laid off due to lack of incoming work (i.e. money to pay you) they still owe you unemployment. there are ways to fight and appeal the situation if this money is owed to you. i hope everything works out.

Sunday, March 15, 2009 9:41:00 AM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Quick! Give me someone to kick in the penis for you!

Sunday, March 15, 2009 10:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Laura said...

Hi justJenn. I'm so sorry all of this is happening to you. I love your blog - you have such great humor and the recipes and ideas you share are so awesome. I'm sure that things will turn around.

Sunday, March 15, 2009 10:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Mostly Martha said...

Hi Jenn. Please know that there is a whole community following your story and pulling for you. Things will get better. You have such a talent with words and a gift for making us laugh...please stay strong though this. Maybe now is a good time to put your entries on paper and turn them into a book? It would sell, I know it would. Hang in there.

Sunday, March 15, 2009 3:29:00 PM  
Anonymous McCrum said...

Jenn,

No questions for why not, just a hug in understanding. Architecture will boom back the same way it crashed down.

Keep the faith, keep your family close and keep your health up, the rest is just details. It will get better.

Sunday, March 15, 2009 6:11:00 PM  
Blogger bethany actually said...

NO unemployment?! Aaaaackkk! I am so sorry. I hope the coffee mochi helps a tiny bit.

I'm thinking now might be a good time to finally buy something from your store, eh? Not that it'll be more than a tiny drop in the bucket, but at least it's something I can do.

Sunday, March 15, 2009 9:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella said...

So sorry to hear about that Jenn :( That is bad news indeed. I hope that things start to look up for you really soon :)

Sunday, March 15, 2009 11:06:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I told you Watchmen was awful. Okay, so I'm usually wrong about things...

Monday, March 16, 2009 9:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry everything seems to be raining down on you these past few weeks! I love reading your blog and you're such a wonderful writer/chef/mom/extraordinaire that I know thigs will turn around for you!!!
Amy

Monday, March 16, 2009 10:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a similar situation once in which i was denied unemployment benefits because, even though my employer laid me off, they told the unemployment people that they let me go due to poor job performance, and that means it was my reason, not theirs and that equals no unemployment benefits. I was able to fight that and actually get the benefits, you might want to consult an employment lawyer...

good luck, you are in my thoughts.

Monday, March 16, 2009 12:19:00 PM  
Blogger La Pixie said...

whoa, that sucks. Im so sorry, Jenn. I wish I could do something to help out. oh wait, maybe I can help a little. I'll email you.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 10:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home