Thursday, March 26, 2009

The magical fruit

I'm doing a victory dance. Can you see it? Like if I were in the endzone I'd do The Roger Rabbit, then hold the ball up to Jesus. Which is weird because I'm sure people on the opposing team were asking Jesus for help too, right? What's up with that? Anyway, my victory dance is for something that I've been working on for a long time. Yes, listen close - the Kid likes beans.

Every night when I make the kids dinner I put a veg and fruit with whatever else they are eating. Sometimes they go for it, sometimes they don't. I'm fine with a no if you try it and THEN hate it, (like I hate bean sprouts and yes, I've tried them) but until they truly cannot stand to eat it, it will sit on their plate until they at least give it a go.

So finally the Kid has declared, "Mommy, I like green beans!" The Baby, well - he said, "I don't like them. But I'll eat them." This is not so much a victory, as an insight into his quantitative eating disorder. Still, I'll take what I can get.

Since beans can now become a fixture on the menu, I made some pasta for dinner with salami and green beans. Haricot verts, to be exact. Seems to me those go down easier for the kids. I am trying out more pastas without red sauce. I love red sauce, I do not like cleaning it up. (The Baby, I am looking at you.)

I am of the belief that you should encourage your kids to eat as healthy as possible, even if you - yourself, don't. (Hello, I'd eat Snickers for dinner if I could.) I know plenty of people hate fish, but why not let the kids come to their own conclusions, even if you don't like it. Who knows, they may love it. And even if they don't eat it now, they might appreciate different foods later in life.

Next up, peas! A girl can dream, right?Bowtie Pasta with Salami and green beans, recipe

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger bethany actually said...

Yessss! That pasta looks good. But would you believe, I have the only 4-year-old in America who does NOT like pasta? She'll eat spaghetti and mac & cheese and that is IT. She won't even eat the cute flower-shaped pasta, or the fun spiral pasta.

However, she will eat green beans, peas, kidney beans, black beans, refried beans, baked beans, and garbanzo beans. So I won't complain much.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:31:00 PM  
Blogger OCHalf07 said...

I saw this in the paper and while I don't actually KNOW you other than by reading your blog, and it probably seems creepy to say this, I thought of you and I think that you must attend: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dailydish/2009/03/los-angeles-cup.html

Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella said...

It's the small victories like this isn't it! I bet it feels like a touchdown :)

Thursday, March 26, 2009 7:42:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

I agree. my folks made us eat everything. and with the background - that's pretty much everything. it made me a fairly adventurous foodie and I did find I liked a few things later that I didn't before.

except for brussel sprouts. and cilantro.

Saturday, March 28, 2009 9:12:00 AM  
Blogger SAJ said...

Can my kid come to your house to try fish? Because even though I really want her to like it, I can't cook it! I puke!

Sunday, March 29, 2009 7:07:00 PM  
Anonymous mperez1999 said...

My baby is only 10 months but I have anxiety about how to be a good healthy eating role model while still eating Lucky Charms and bacon (not necessarily together).

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 9:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home