Monday, March 16, 2009

My heart going boom boom, boom.
"Son," he said,"Grab your things, I've come to take you home."

Day 2 of desperately trying to stay positive. Or as I am calling it, Operation: Welcome Back, Karma.If it seems like this funeral is taking forever...it's because it is. It's not going to happen until the end of the week, so until then? It's craziness around here. Sometimes I want to tell my Grandpa to move over and take me with him because O.G. is KILLING ME.

We are having an open casket viewing, which gives me the creeps, but I get it. People want to say goodbye. The funeral director said that at this time, we can put whatever we want in the casket. Uh, really? Weird. You are supposed to put in things that had great meaning to that person, or what they liked a lot. So what are we thinking of putting in there? Root beer, of course. I'm not kidding. Our family loves us some root beer. My Grandpa did, especially. He was the King of Root Beer. You know when people say, "I love it so much I want to marry it?" In our family I guess it's, we love it so much we want to be...(wait for it) buried with it. Thank you, goodnight!

It was during this conversation that I leaned over to O.G. and asked her what she wanted to be buried with. Hey, you gotta prepare, right? Without missing a beat she said, "I want to be buried with tacos." Uh. 1. How is this even logistically possible? And 2. YUM.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

I want to be buried with a bag of Starbucks coffee beans.

Monday, March 16, 2009 6:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Missy said...

#1)I rarely, if ever, leave comments here, but I read all the time.
#2)No great words of wisdom for the tough time you're going through, but it sucks.
#3)We're hear to listen/read.
#4)When my grandma passed away a few months ago, we buried her with her knitting, a Houlihan's $5 off coupon, and a lottery ticket.

Monday, March 16, 2009 9:18:00 AM  
Anonymous mperez1999 said...

Sorry to hear about your grandfather.

I hope you'll be able to put in the rootbeer. I never knew you could put things in the casket. I LOVE rootbeer too! Gotta go update my will now...

Monday, March 16, 2009 12:43:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

wow. take of for a couple of days. I just helped my best friend do some stuff for her mom's funeral. they actually chose similar times to go, your grandpa and her. I'm really sorry. and bout the (non)un-employment and everything else.

but one part of your misery made me laugh. while the credits rolled, I asked my son "what did you think?" - "DID THEY EVEN READ IT!?!"

yet I, for the most part, liked it. but then, I liked the spirit. sorry.

http://movies.msn.com/hitlist/03-11-09/


patton oswalt's is the last review.

Monday, March 16, 2009 1:56:00 PM  
Anonymous christina from fullerton said...

Sorry for all you've endured in just the last week. I'm pulling for ya out here in Lurkerville.

BTW, we buried our Ojiisan with a big 500ml can of Asahi! Don't know how tacos would work, though...

Monday, March 16, 2009 3:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Hilary said...

I've only ever been to Jewish funerals, and the only things they've been buried with are tallit (prayer shawl).

I like your way better.

Monday, March 16, 2009 4:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home