Friday, March 20, 2009

We can live beside the ocean, leave the fire behind, swim out past the breakers, watch the world die

I have been dying to go to Huckleberry Cafe, a recently opened restaurant in Santa Monica, by the owners of Rustic Canyon. All the reviews have been fabulous, save for one thing. The price. As an unemployed foodie, this proves to be a problem.

Luckily my mom, a more than willing accomplice when it comes to fantastic meals, wanted to go and treat! Thank god for moms. Can I get a what what for all the mothers in the house?

The cafe is lovely space next to the Magellan Travel Store and the newly relocated Santa Monica Seafood - which is totally amazing, but more on that later. The space itself severely needs an overhaul in acoustics, but the staff was cheery and the food was fabulous. Everything is really fresh, so much so that we saw a chef go out back and pick the pansies from the flower box to put on the fruit tarts. Er. I was just hoping a dog didn't pee on said pansies during the day. SaMo is a dog town after all. Um. I skipped the fruit tart just in case. They were lovely though!

We went for breakfast. I have a knack for knowing my mother's tastes to a T, so I easily picked out her menu choice - poached eggs on seasonal vegetables. It's a game we play, everywhere we go. I have NEVER been wrong about what she is going to order. How could you go wrong with these gorgeous colors anyway:
I ordered the fried egg sandwich with garlic aioli and smoked bacon, man it was so good I didn't even snap a picture. We also had some croissants - you know I am the #1 aficionado of chocolate croissants, and I am sad to say - you can pass on these. Despite being made with Valrhona chocolate, the croissant was too bready. I also tried a bite of a sugared donut hole which was fantastic. Not to sweet, and in this case, the bread-i-ness of it was just perfect. I will have to recreate these myself.
Down the way we stopped in the new location for SaMo Seafood. this space is big and airy and pheeww was it stinky of fish. But that's a sure sign of freshness, cause these fish were GORGEOUS. The most perfect pieces of seafood you'll find. I know a lot of people have an aversion to seafood, but it's brain food, people! How else can you explain that my 5 year old just recited all 50 states and their capitals to me yesterday? (Even I don't know all of them, I guess I should eat more salmon myself.)

If you get a chance, take a walk down this tiny block of Wilshire. You won't be disappointed. I will be going back, I just need to take out a small loan first.

More pictures, here.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

I saw "eggs" a couple of times and scrolled through quickly. However, just wanted to say...Love the new header! ;-)

Friday, March 20, 2009 11:01:00 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Again with the Everclear....sigh...

Maybe you should start your own business going around to different foodie venues and offering yoru architectural services...

Friday, March 20, 2009 11:12:00 AM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Brent and I had Huckleberry baked goods for the first time last weekend. So. Freakin'. Yummy.

Friday, March 20, 2009 11:23:00 AM  
Blogger Cate said...

Hi. I have an award for you! Come by and get it at http://catesplate.blogspot.com

I love following your blogs. I am sorry to hear about your grandfather and of current employment situation.

Sunday, March 22, 2009 7:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Saturday, November 14, 2009 12:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Jonah said...

I read a lot of helpful info in this post!
games online

Monday, March 05, 2012 6:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home