Monday, March 23, 2009

You're gonna meet some gentle people there

I had been planning a trip to San Francisco for months. The Kid saw some show about cable cars and that was it, he asked to go everyday. The city is close enough that it would be an easy trip, however the day I booked the tickets...I got laid off. Timing.

It was nonrefundable and we had to go through with it. This turned out to be a good thing because the entire family went and it was the best thing to do right after the funeral. One of the key things about booking this trip was that I found a kid-friendly hotel that offered a Kid's Suite!! Three rooms, one of which was decked out just for kids. That was the selling point for me.

I gotta say, it WAS pretty awesome. A bunk bed, which I have been planning to get for the kids, but never tried, their very own computer packed with games, a tv, a chalkboard, baskets of books and toys, kid sized chairs and a super cool animal themed bathroom!!didn't tell you was that is right on the edge of a really bad neighborhood. Now I am quite familiar with bad neighborhoods, but this....this was bad. There were cops and crackheads EVERYWHERE lining the streets.
So the Kid's Suite was as great as they had touted, but what they

One day when we got back from lunch, cops were busting someone right on the front steps of the hotel. Nice.

My reservations also got screwed up, but we won't go into that. Instead, I decided to make the most of the trip. I had to, I had no choice. We were only there a few days, but we met up with family and friends and hit all the tourists attractions.
My main goal was to go to the Ferry Building, which was filled with amazing things for foodies. Fantastic places to eat and the most amazing desserts. Cone of meat, is all I have to say. They had great noodles, and Japanese bentos. Stores dedicated just to cheese and just to mushrooms. It reminded me a lot of Chelsea Market in New York.
We also went to the newly renovated Academy of Sciences. It was truly amazing. There was so much to see and do, I don't think it's possible to get it all done in one day. Inside there is an aquarium, a planetarium and a rain forest. The cafe there had the BEST food, really gourmet and delicious considering it was in a museum.

The kids loved it. The place is floor to ceiling fantastic - even the roof is a learning experience. They also show in depth science experiments where people sit around and...skin animals. I wanted to puke, yay science - but god that's gross.We also did the typical tourist things, ate crab at Boudin Bakery, had ice cream at Ghirardelli, and yes - the Kid got to ride his beloved cable cars. But lordy was it freezing! I mean, cold is one thing, but it's hard to handle wind chill that ferocious. No matter how many layers you have on, you are chilled to the bone.
We also hit Chinatown for the 'best salt and pepper chicken wings ever' and stopped by the famous fortune cookie factory to see the ladies folding them in action. Honestly, they were the best fortune cookies I have ever tasted. Hot. Fresh. Right off the line.

San Francisco is the best eating town - there are so many diverse things to try. And in the end, the hotel turned out to be centrally located for everything that we wanted to do. And? I got used to the crackheads. I'm not saying that's a good thing, I've learned to make the most of a situation. Which is a good thing.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

YAY! I think we are going this weekend. I'm glad you're still getting out and having fun.

That museum sounds awesome.

Monday, March 23, 2009 2:01:00 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Ooo...clam chowder in Boudin bread. Did you bring some home? :)

That SF weather is INSANE. I went last year during July and wore long sleeved tees and coats the ENTIRE time. During the SUMMER.

Monday, March 23, 2009 2:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Jen said...

the summers here are freezing, the fall is quite nice though.

yes, and the food. I am fat from living here. Completely manatee fat. Bring on the carbs!

(glad you had a good time)

Monday, March 23, 2009 2:53:00 PM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

Virtual diabetes. Heh.

Monday, March 23, 2009 5:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella said...

Great tour of San Francisco! I've always wanted to go there as I am obsessed with the Tales of the City books. That hotel is darling but the location sounds incredibly dodgy!

Monday, March 23, 2009 6:45:00 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

You definitely out ate me, dammit. I need to go back, stat.

Monday, March 23, 2009 6:51:00 PM  
Blogger camille said...

glad you guys enjoyed your trip to my hoooome sweet home! i should check out the "tourist" spots more often, it looks like i'm missing out..

Monday, March 23, 2009 9:16:00 PM  
Blogger Karen @ Mignardise said...

Love your blog! Add "writing" to your list of talents.
We are going to SF in June, so thanks for the tips. The Ferry Bldg. is at the top of my list.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:36:00 AM  
Blogger Casie said...

Where is that "best scones ever" place???? I make scones myself and am all about trying and then perfecting mine to be better. 18th and what? Or what is the name. There is supposedly a great scone place on Ellis between Franklin and Van Ness for anyone who wants to know. They sell out by noon everyday.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:50:00 AM  
Blogger Lissete said...

The hotel sounds great, sucks about the area though. I'm almost sure I know where it is, as we drove by an area in SF that had all four of us a bit freaked out.

Did you go to the Pirate's Store? Kids love that place.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 12:32:00 PM  
Blogger The Daily Randi said...

We went to That Fortune Cookie Factory, too!!!!

But, no Exploratorium with your kids??!! We could have spent All Day there.

xoxo,
TDR

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home