Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Cream, get on top

When I was a kid I remember eating Ice Cream Jello. I forgot about it since then, til I saw a post by the Food Librarian and it all came back to me.

The thing is, it takes half a container of ice cream. Now I say container because I don't know if you realize...but we are being quietly and slowly taken advantage of. It was O.G. who first pointed out to me that cereal boxes are smaller. Cans have less ounces in them. She said it was a conspiracy and I agreed that it was a conspiracy of her trying to drive me insane with her conspiracy theories.Turns out she was right, and if you look closely at what used to be a 'half gallon' of ice cream, the size is now 1.5 quarts. (Two quarts make a half gallon, genius.) So, yes indeed, we are being screwed.

But nevermind the X-files of ice cream - back to the Jello recipe. As a kid, I seem to remember eating a green version and maybe an orange. But since I am stubborn about color-coordinating, I knew it would be the perfect thing to serve for my red/blue colored party. The magical separation from creamy to jello is what makes this look like a lot of work, but the recipe is so simple it's reedickulous. While the Broken Glass Jello and Layered Jello are gorgeous, this is pretty too in it's own way, and oh so tasty.

Try it out. It's fun to serve and people are always stunned by the name, "There's...ice cream in here?!?" Nah, it's just a conspiracy theory...

Ice Cream Jello recipe, here
.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Fascinating! Thank you :)

Herein lies the part where I admit that *sometimes* I eat fast food: Last time I got McNuggets they were half the size. Well same size, but flatter! So weird. Also, the meatballs at Pizza Port in D-land have shrunken and no longer taste like meat :(

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:12:00 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I remember hearing a story about this on NPR a few months back. The prices on these food items are staying the same but the sizes are getting smaller! What a jip!

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:18:00 AM  
Blogger adriana said...

Everything is getting smaller. Did you see the Cadbury Egg comparison? It's horrible!

This looks totally yummy, though.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:34:00 AM  
Blogger dapotato said...

interesting. i think OG and i might get along.

i took your broken glass jello and layered jello to a party this past weekend, and they were a hit with the kids! the um, 20- and 30-something year old kids, that is.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 10:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Babs said...

The Today show did a story a few months ago about the ice cream containers being narrower at the bottom. And also a story about different ingredients being used in Hershey bars. Bunch of scammers!

So that jello dish doesn't melt? It can sit out? Very interesting. I might try that for the next shin-dig I am invited to.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 12:19:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

I can't eat the creme eggs anymore because the smaller size messed up the ratio of flavors. seriously.

I was too lazy to say the ganache sea salt cupcakes made my mouth actually water, so I'm glad to see you're going to put up the recipe. and for the jello.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Linda said...

I can't believe how much they look like little mini sponges (I know how much you love all things mini). But I bet they are tasty, unlike like sponges; now how in hell do I know that?!

Linda(QuarterLifeCrisisJen's aunt)

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:10:00 PM  
Blogger TheRightWife said...

Damn this low-carb diet. And damn these 50 pounds I need to lose. That jello looks deeeeelicious!

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 6:21:00 PM  
Blogger Keri said...

Oh my goodness...I totally forgot about ice cream jello. I think it's a prerequesite for every JA family to have a recipe for finger jello, 7 layer jello, and ice cream jello. I love it!!!!!

BTW, i've been a silent reader for awhile and I just wanted to say I love your site! :)

Thursday, April 30, 2009 6:37:00 PM  
Blogger joyce said...

thanks for sharing!

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 6:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home