Tuesday, April 14, 2009

An end to the tears and the in-between years and the troubles I've seen

It's a well known fact that I am obsessed with cleaning. Even when I worked I scrubbed my kitchen floor 3 times a day and vaccuumed everyday. Now, staying home all day has only deepened that obsession and now it's taking over my life. I have nothing better to do than sit here all day and inspect every little piece of dirt or pile of clutter and freak out. I can't let it go.

This week's OCD Special is my kitchen countertop. The first owner of this house was a bachelor. He never cooked. EVER. The kitchen was pristine of course, since he never used it, but because of that - when the house was built he went cheap and did tile countertops. As a designer let me tell you - only a moron would install tile countertops. Even if you seal it, the grout is inevitably going to pick up each and every little stain you can imagine. Thus begins my nightmare.

I've tried everything to get those stains out and nothing worked. I had heard that a weird combination of Cream of Tartar and lemon juice scrubbed with a toothbrush would work. Sounded more like I was going to make meringues, but I was ready to try anything. Amazingly - it was like a miracle! I tried real lemon and fake lemon juice and both worked wonders.

With that problem solved I can focus my clean obsession on other things. Like the dirt over my door frames. I know I'm crazy. You don't have to tell me twice. Do I see every speck of dirt at your house when you invite me over? YES. I. DO. Luckily I can leave and not deal with it, but believe me, I see it. Does it drive me crazy? Yes, because I have mental problems. Hello, I spend hours scrubbing at the counter top with a freakin' toothbrush. Someone call clean-aholics anonymous. I need help.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger The Food Librarian said...

Just wanted to announce. You are never allowed in my house. :)

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:55:00 AM  
Blogger bethany actually said...

You're welcome to come to my house, but it might make you crazy. :-) A neat freak I am decidedly not.

Though I DO totally understand the annoyance with tiled kitchen counters. I've had those before and I spent so many hours of my life scrubbing the stupid grout with a toothbrush.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 10:05:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

My house NEEDS you. It's urgent. Of course, the judgement from you would be very intense, I'm sure.

Seriously, where do you find the energy?

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 10:22:00 AM  
Blogger lilsprinkles said...

OMG! love it...only b/c i can relate. but seriously, you may have a lil prob :)

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:52:00 PM  
Blogger jami said...

Uh oh. I may not be able to have you over again unless you bring your scrub brushes. Though I did dust the kitchen shelves the other night before rearranging junk and unpacking my cookbooks...

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Dawn said...

I just washed and relined every shelf and drawer in my kitchen along with washing every piece of cookware and bakeware before I put it back. Thankfully, I have a small apartment kitchen. This weekend I was going to tackle my stupid tile tops with bleach but will now try the lemony concoction!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:43:00 PM  
Blogger Mommy2Fin said...

I have no idea who you are but you are on my sisters blog. If she let you on she has to know you. She is the one who wants a double shot of Xanax...=).

I wanted to say I am very jealous you have the drive you do to clean. I wish my house could be spotless all the time with no spots anywhere. I wish I had the time and energy to clean like that. Oh well.

I wanted to let you know of another combo as well that works great for cleaning. Especially in the bathtub. It is baking soda, vinegar, aand a few dots of dish liquid. Make a creamy paste and viola....Cleaning solution!!!

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Hilary said...

Guess what I did yesterday? I cleaned the dust off the top of the doors in my apartment. While unemployment may not be good financially, my apartment is quite clean. I blame you.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home