Thursday, April 09, 2009

The fellas out there tryin' to make that dollah, I pulled up in my six fo' Impala

It's true. I've been following the Kogi BBQ truck...in my mind. If you don't know what Kogi is, you are missing out. They are the biggest thing since...since Korean tacos. Working out of your typical L.A. taco truck, they turn out delicious takes on tacos - short rib tacos, spicy chicken tacos, spicy pork tacos, all with a Korean flair.

I just haven't had the time to track it down and get it. Now it's a little late. They are so popular they've added trucks, have been all over the newspapers, internet, television it's a phenomenon. People line up for hours and some don't even get served. Is it worth it?
I finally got some, and after a 2 hour wait - WOW was it good. The flavors are amazing, it's another one of those - 'why didn't I think of that?' Tacos are a staple in our house, I eat Mexican at least 3 times a week, so I know tacos. And I think you really taste the authenticity in these Kogi tacos. They aren't trying to be different or nouveau, they are just trying to make something that combines great tastes, and they've succeeded.

I had a bite of each of the three, and had a taste of the short rib breakfast burrito. The surprise was, as much as I ADORE kalbi short ribs, the spicy pork was the winner for me. I also thought the burrito was fantastic.One downfall of the two hour wait, some dude jumped the line right in front of me and didn't wait at all. I saw it, I didn't complain (getting into fights over tacos, not my thang) - but I sure as hell wasn't happy about it. But man, were those tacos good. Yes, the 2 hour wait is off putting, but I have to say - it was worth it. Instead of chasing the truck all over town, I may try to attempt my own at home, after all I make short ribs on the regular. But still, there's something nice about eating off the back of a taco truck. Maybe it's just an L.A. thing.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger chad said...

You need to set up an RSS feed or someway to subscribe to your blog.

Thursday, April 09, 2009 11:25:00 AM  
Blogger lilsprinkles said...

omg! my brother-in-law stood in line yesterday and said that there were 50 pple in line before the truck even opened! he gave up :( no kogi for him

Thursday, April 09, 2009 2:22:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Guess I'm missing out. Never heard of this and guess I'll continue to miss out. Won't wait 2 hours for tacos. No way. But, if that's your thang...awesome!

Thursday, April 09, 2009 8:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella said...

This is so unfair that I just can't try these :P

Friday, April 10, 2009 5:07:00 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

OH NO GIRL! Taco trucks even exits in Huntsville, Alabama. Born and raised here - far too right for me and NO SOCIAL/ART SCENE at all which sucks, BUT I am married to an artist and we travel when we can....and it is a nice place to raise kids.

Friday, April 10, 2009 9:46:00 AM  
Anonymous kat said...

those tortillas look devine...

Saturday, April 11, 2009 8:22:00 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

You taunt me with the photos of these tacos.

Saturday, April 11, 2009 9:30:00 AM  
Blogger celia said...

i don't think i've ever waited more than 30 minutes, but i think it's just been a matter of timing. the spicy pork is my fave, but it's their specials that make it so worth the wait. when available, you should try the kurobata pork belly with dandelion greens kimchi and their brie with pickled strawberries. delicious.

Sunday, April 12, 2009 7:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home