Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I'm your huckleberry

I've got to tell you. I miss architecture. I know the economy is bad and everyone is suffering, but I've been working in the field since I was 16 years old. It's hard for me to not be doing it anymore. Luckily (?) I still have design opportunities coming my way....

When O.G. calls at 9pm you know it's got to be for some crazy shiz. This time around she wanted me to (wait for it)...design her tombstone. I have come to expect these things so I wasn't phased when she asked, but what DID throw me was that she wanted me to take her to a place that sells tombstones...out of their living room. After a rather loud "HELL NO I am NOT taking you to 'CHIBBY'S HOUSE OF DEATH' or whatever," did she then come to her senses and decide to go to a morturary to pick one out. (Like a normal person.)

The funny thing is, turns out I am really good at designing gravestones. It's about picking fonts (which I do) and picking stone - which was part of my job for years. I was shocked at some of the crazy a$$ stuff you could get on your tombstone. When the funeral director walked away - I quickly took a picture of this:Yes. Yes you can get donkeys engraved on your tombstone.

O.G. promised me tacos after this whole tombstone design meeting and after an HOUR and half of working it out, she got what she wanted - the tombstone of her dreams, if you will. I asked the funeral director if I could fill in O.G.'s date of death now - to avoid the fee later. O.G. agreed this would be a great money saver. Luckily the funeral director had a sense of humor, (specifically our family's sense of humor) but said NO. I told O.G. I'd just go out there with a Sharpie and call it a day.

Like a supportive grandmother, O.G. whispered to me to ask the funeral director for a job designing tombstones. I told her that'd be a bad idea because I'd just put donkeys on every single one, regardless of what the client wanted. And with that, we were off to get tacos...

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Sizzle said...

'CHIBBY'S HOUSE OF DEATH'

Ha ha ha.

Who would want/need a donkey on their gravestone? Unless maybe it was like the pyramids and it's hieroglyphics for Here Lies An Ass.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 7:45:00 AM  
Blogger The Food Librarian said...

Um, can you put Hello Kitty and Wallace & Gromit on the tombstone too? Could they be riding the donkey?

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:08:00 AM  
Blogger SimplyJenn said...

This post was hilarious! I always enjoy stories of your cool O.G.!

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:51:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I'm totally getting a hamster on mine!!!

(I wish I could blog every day like you do!)

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 9:16:00 AM  
Blogger michelle said...

og is a riot ... i think that you should convince her to get hello kitty on her tombstone.

oh, and i love the title ... i just watched tombstone on tv a couple of weeks ago ... it's the only movie where i can actually stand val kilmner.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 1:12:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

we just watched The Fountainhead. (indirect)"you will use my tombstone and it will be exactly the way I want it and you will NOT alter my work in ANY WAY"(indirect).

then go crazy with your happy asses.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 1:51:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

You should make OG's headstone in the shape of a steak and feature your cartoon rendition of her. And yours should be in the shape of a taco.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 2:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Ally said...

Awww... You're a good granddaughter. :)

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 6:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home