Tuesday, April 07, 2009

She's my cherry pie

This past weekend was the Cherry Blossom Festival in Little Tokyo. Frankly, there are no cherry blossom trees downtown, but don't let that stop you from having a good time.

I've got to say, I have a few issues with this festival. The food vendors, NOT great. Come on, there should be some good options for Japanese food and tons of them. How about a whole area of local restaurants selling their food to bring more business in? There are amazing restaurants in Little Tokyo that people should know about. This is their opportunity to shine.The kids crafts area was fabulous. 'Course they made me pay a $1, but that's forgivable since it was good for ALL DAY. So of course I made the kids do every single craft. Or 'MAKIN' CRAPS' as the Baby says. There were lots of them and I got some great ideas for us to do at home as well.

The fair was kind of broken up into pieces, planning wise - despite all the maps they gave out, I don't think people really knew that there was a whole back area by the Temporary MoCA. The performances were awesome, hula, taiko and hey there's newscaster Ted Chen (he's not Japanese....at the Japanese festival...but who cares, I guess...?)
We also visited the JA Museum, which was having an exhibit of art that people had drawn in the concentration camps. I think it's weird to go there with O.G. since she was in the camp. I can't imagine what she feels when she sees all that stuff, even pictures of herself. I just kind of let her walk around alone. It's just...weird.
And of course we had mochi. Lots of it. We were only there a few hours but I was 'zausted, as were the kids. Despite the hiccups I think it was a good festival overall. It certainly brought people downtown, which I think is fantastic.

More pictures, here.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger The Food Librarian said...

Hey! I was there too! I missed Ted Chen (what? they couldn't get Rob Fukuzaki or David Ono?) but saw LA Councilwoman Jan Perry do the fan dance in a kimono and the kimono fashion show. I went to Fugetsudo for my mochi that day...and Yogurtland. My mom worked at Fugetsudo years and years ago.

Tuesday, April 07, 2009 8:07:00 AM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

Making Craps. I love it. I'm adopting that saying from here on out.

Tuesday, April 07, 2009 8:33:00 AM  
Anonymous Babs said...

That does it! I must seek out this mochi and try it. You rave about it so much.

*off to google mochi in atlanta*

Tuesday, April 07, 2009 8:45:00 AM  
Blogger Jen14221 said...

Wait. Back up.
OG can find herself in some of the pictures? No way.
That's crazy.

Tuesday, April 07, 2009 10:43:00 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

I went last year and did not have a good time. Burritos were plentiful, but not a lot of the fun (and kinda junky) Japanese festival food - odango, bao, yakitori, shave ice with azuki beans...

What camp did your grandma get placed in? My grandparents were in Manzanar.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 10:52:00 AM  
Blogger Lorena said...

Totally stealing "making craps" from the bebe.

And, yeah, the whole WWII thing is a big no-no in my Filipino family. Grandma can reminisce about "camping" in the jungle and that's about as far as it goes. Too painful for her and too awkward for me...

Monday, April 13, 2009 10:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home