Wednesday, April 08, 2009

There's a bluebird on my shoulder

Easter means Peeps. You are barraged by them in the stores months before the actual holiday, and as much as I try not to buy them, they are so cute I always get one box. I don't even care for them, which is weird since I love marshmallow. Maybe it's the nightmarish colors that make them hard to choke down.

But I do like to make cupcakes with them every Easter. Last year the kids asked for yellow, but when I saw the blue-birds this year, I knew I wanted to make nests.

I have experience dying all that green coconut, you know, so a nest was easy. But I didn't know what kind of cupcake I wanted. Turned out brown sugar was just the thing. They were so tasty they didn't even need frosting. Well. Everything is better with frosting, but still, these were pretty darn tasty. And the smell when they were baking, wow. Nothing like cooking brown sugar to fill your house with warmth.With the brown sugar cupcake I just made a simple vanilla buttercream. With that big 'ol sugary peep on top, I didn't think it needed anything more special to stick, than that. Then, I made the kids a little "Peeps mise en place" so that they could make their own. The kids were thrilled to help make 'birdie nests' but eating the actual coconut, that was a big NO. 'BLECH' I think was the technical term.So after we made these yesterday, today we just got back from the dentist who gave strict orders that the kids are not allowed to eat anything sugary-sticky. Uh...yeah, about that...

Brown Sugar Cupcakes recipe

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Very cute!! I like marshmallows but not peeps too. I think it's the sugar. BLEH

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 8:19:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

You know I love my Peeps! Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum! Luckily, you can get them for just about any holiday now. I'm going to suggest 4th of July and Presidents' Day as they've been neglected.

Too bad you had to ruin the cupcake with all of that coconut. Ha ha!

An actual email I got at work yesterday: This is a private invitation for my PEEPS gang... come by my desk if you want some peeps! (Please eat some, I can't eat them all... well, I can but it wouldn't be good for the baby!)
Enjoy, M

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 11:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Babs said...

I think I am going to try the eggs in a basket thing for Easter treats this year. I remembered that you had dyed the coconut. We'll see how that turns out for me.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 11:32:00 AM  
Anonymous kat said...

I can't bring myself to try the green ones. but I do loves my peeps. a little stale or on top of my sweet potatos.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 2:12:00 PM  
Blogger TheRightWife said...

Goodness! Those look delicious and adorable :)

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 3:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella said...

I've never tried Peeps (they're just not a big thing here) although I saw a pack of 4 in an imported candy store here for an extortionate amount of money. Maybe I should try these at least once!

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 10:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home