Monday, April 27, 2009

Where's the party, I want to free my soul,
where's the party, I want to lose control

I would say the shower was a success. Everyone seemed to have a good time and loved the food. Luckily I had a lot of help and encouragement around because I ended up making well over 100 cupcakes. The mom2be was happy, the family and guests were happy - everything went smoothly thank goodness.

Here's a list of everything on the menu, for the this mid-afternoon of sweets and treats...
  • Cheese and crackers
  • vegetables and dip
  • fruit
  • bocconcini + tomato skewers
  • cereal + milk bar
  • ice cream jell-o
  • Red Velvet cupcakes with Mascarpone frosting
  • Chocolate Ganache cupcakes with Vanilla Sea Salt
  • Brown Sugar cupcakes with Cinnamon Vanilla Buttercream ('Babies')
  • White Velvet cupcakes with Mascarpone + Dried Pineapple Flowers
I'm not crazy. I didn't go in there full throttle without testing those recipes first. I invited the mom2be's family over the day before and made them taste 8 different flavors of cupcakes that I had made. The mom said she had a good time and that I should charge people to come over and taste test. That'd be hilarious. 'HERE. EAT THIS.'

Of all the cupcakes at the party, the red velvet went in about 10 seconds, so that was the clear winner right there. Everything went as planned, I think a lot of it had to do with my habit of sketching EVERYTHING. How I want the food to look, the tables, the layout, all of it. It really helped things run smoothly. I draw a lot of pictures of food. Yeah, I'm weird.

There were no migraines, stresses or spur of the moment nightmares. I even painted a few baby shirts for a last minute decoration - 30 minutes before the shower, so I guess that means I'm getting the hang of this gig. Most of all, I had a lot of fun planning it all.

This shower ended up being way too easy to do. This can't be good for my future, given my habit of overdoing things. Luckily no one else is asking for my party throwing services...yet.
Click here for more shower pictures...

And now the important stuff, the winner!
By random integer generator, congrats...Heidi!
And since I had an extra gumball machine, I pullled one name for a second place prize...Gerta! Email me with your addresses! Congrats and thanks as always (to everyone!), for reading!

Labels: , ,

24 Comments:

Anonymous Heidi said...

omg omg omg!!! I am Heidi and I commented, and I had a freaky feeling I was going to win! But what if I am the wrong one? I can't be! ok- what should I do now? btw everything looks amazing from your shower!!!

Monday, April 27, 2009 7:12:00 AM  
Blogger The Food Librarian said...

Holy crap. You are totally amazing!! Everything looks so yummy! I love the presentation - sooooo cute.

Monday, April 27, 2009 7:57:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

What is Ice Cream jell-o??? There's no link and I'm VERY curious.

Also, everything looks wonderful.

Monday, April 27, 2009 8:11:00 AM  
Blogger e said...

Everytime I see your shower pics, I want to move to CA, become your best friend and have another baby. You're so amazing! : )

And I'm so intrigued with the Ice Cream Jello! What that be Jen!?

Monday, April 27, 2009 8:25:00 AM  
Blogger Kt said...

I couldn't say it better than E above!

So impressed!

Monday, April 27, 2009 8:27:00 AM  
Anonymous alibaba38 said...

I'm glad the shower went well and migraine free! Did you also make those sugar hearts in the flicker set? I must know your secret on those! Please and thank you.

Monday, April 27, 2009 9:39:00 AM  
Blogger La Pixie said...

have we seen this "ice cream jell-o" that you speak of?

Monday, April 27, 2009 10:00:00 AM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Ditto E! Oh, wait...heh, heh...

You already know how impressed I am with your mad skills, but I'll tell ya again. Floored, as always.

Monday, April 27, 2009 10:13:00 AM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

I almost want to get pregnant just so I can hire you.

Monday, April 27, 2009 11:32:00 AM  
Blogger Lilcee said...

OMG. Everything looks amazing. As usual, awesome job.

Now I want another shower.

Monday, April 27, 2009 2:05:00 PM  
Blogger suburban housefrau said...

My name is Heidi, and I got all excited - until I realized that I used my google login name... :(

Monday, April 27, 2009 2:53:00 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

First of all, the cupcakes with the little hearts on them are soo cute (I love simple)! Second, are you going to post the recipe for the chocolate ganache cupcakes with vanilla sea salt? My mouth is watering just thinking about that!

Monday, April 27, 2009 6:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Steph said...

The economy is in the crapper, you got laid off--why not do this as a business? Clearly you like it if you do it so often for free. And you're great at it. You have enough photos to fill a portfolio. Seriously. Why would you want the other job where you talked about crying on a daily basis? This is your calling!

PS - wtf if jello ice cream?

Monday, April 27, 2009 7:56:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

@alibaba I did not make the sugar hearts, but aren't they the cutest? I got them at Sur la Table.

@andrea I will post the chocolate ganache vanilla sea salt recipe, it's on my to do list...

@steph I'm sure I'll cry daily if I did this too.

@everyone else ICE CREAM JELLO info...coming tomorrow....

Thanks for all the kind words!

Monday, April 27, 2009 8:40:00 PM  
Blogger joyce said...

I'm quickly reading - but I'm hoping you post that ice cream jello recipe -- mmmm and your red velvet cupcakes and all others look yummy....i'm glad to hear everything went well!!

Monday, April 27, 2009 9:40:00 PM  
Blogger Nguyen Family Circus said...

LOVE all the yummy treats. What did you use to hold the red velvet cupcakes? I love how they look.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella said...

Wow, what an amazing spread! ou really went all out! Bravo :D

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Linda said...

I really agree with Steph. At least you'd be making money and doing somthing you like to do while you cry!
Linda

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:17:00 PM  
Blogger xtena said...

another amazing baby shower!

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:41:00 PM  
Blogger Yum-e said...

Jenn!!! Thank you thank you THANK YOU for the awesome shower. You are THE BEST MOH ever and there are no amount of words in any language to thank you for your hard work. Everyone LOVED it and had a great time. Oh man - did I love doing those tastings. I am one lucky momma-to-be and baby is one lucky little boy.

Thanks for EVERYTHING!

xo!

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 3:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Dawn C. said...

Since everybody else already asked my other questions (sugar hearts, ice cream jello recipe, vanilla sea salt) I do have one left: where did you get the square white papers that are holding the ice cream jello?

Thursday, April 30, 2009 1:45:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

@Dawn Those are just regular old cupcake liners!!

Thursday, April 30, 2009 2:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. Now I feel stupid. They look bigger, like special bakery pastry papers. Oh well. :) Thanks!

Thursday, April 30, 2009 3:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, What kind of liners are the red velvet cupcakes? is it parchment/wax paper that you cut?

Thursday, April 30, 2009 10:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home