Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Buddy: "You smell like beef and cheese, you don't smell like Santa. "

The week of the funeral our family spent everyday at O.G.'s house. That's a lot of family time. One of those days my cousin was telling us a story and she used "air quotes". As if O.G. had never seen anyone do that before, she started doing it...for no reason. "Jenny, can you get some some "water"." Ugh. Believe me, it's even more annoying than it sounds.

I only bring this up because I went to the market with the Kid the other day and they were doling out samples. I thought it was noodles, but NO, they were "noodles." Ya, dig? They were noodles made out of tofu. Now unless you have a severe allergy to pasta I don't know why the hell you would ever EVER eat noodles made out of tofu, but you know my little vegetarian - he took to it right away. He ate like I've never seen him eat before. So I bought a pack, and at just 99 cents, it wasn't a bad trial investment.

There weren't any recipe directions except to 'rinse and parboil to get rid of the natural scent.' Yeah. What they really mean is wash off the stank, because the "noodles" did NOT smell pleasant. In the end I made up a quick noodle soup and totally kicked the Vegan out of it by adding lots of pork, which in turn added lots of flavor. The vegetarian Kid even ate the pork and the carnivore Baby even ate the noodles. That's teamwork right there.

Would I buy these "noodles" again? Most likely NOT. But I will make the soup again with regular pasta. Since my "kids" really "enjoyed" eating "it". See how annoying that is? Freakin' airquotes.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous kagemom69 said...

Ok - that one cracked me right the hell up....

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 6:48:00 AM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

I'm going to use air quotes all day today at work. I feel like driving someone bat shit crazy!

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:16:00 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Okay...so...quick noodle soup "recipe"?

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Peeved Michelle said...

Shirataki noodles are great for people on low-carb diets. Cupcakes are not.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:15:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

They are good for people on diets cause starving is a better option.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 10:19:00 AM  
Blogger Lilcee said...

those noodles were nasty. I thought it would have been a great alternative for carbs. NOT. SO. MUCH. Maybe I didn't rinse enough but that consistency made me gag. EW.

PS. I wish they'd bring back the tofu dessert. Now that was good.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:46:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

I "wonder" if my "dad" would eat "them". he's "allergic" to "glutin".

gee, that's sort of "fun". I hate tofu...

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:01:00 PM  
Blogger The Food Librarian said...

"these" "totally" "suck"

I also hate the konyaku noodles. What is the "point"?

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Peeved Michelle said...

I am not so much a noodle-lover, but I will definitely take shirataki noodles over whole wheat noodles. If you boil them, rinse them, AND pat them dry before you put sauce on them, they aren't so slimy. Also, the spaghetti-style ones are better than the fettucini-style ones.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:37:00 PM  
Blogger The Daily Randi said...

I live for Those Noodles!! Eat them all the time....they come in Very Handy when you are watching what you eat.

xoxo,
TDR

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 11:31:00 PM  
Blogger Jenna Z said...

HungryGirl (hungrygirl.com) has the hots for these noodles, she gives them a mention in just about EVERY post she does. They are lower cal and carb than pasta but yes, the official word is that they STANK. You need to rinse-rinse-RINSE them before using them. She gives tips in one of her posts, I think. They come in different shapes like fettuccine too.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home