Friday, May 08, 2009

Cafe Disco is dead. But I can still hear the music in my head.

I kinda want to go to Cafe Disco. I want coffee. I want to dance.

Mother's day is coming! I repeat, Mother's Day is coming! Eh. No one cares. Usually I send brownies to O.G. every Mother's Day - her fave, Fat Witch Brownies. Whenever I go to New York I always try to pick some up because, well - she demands it. One time, ONE, I didn't get a chance to go there and pick some up - she wouldn't let it go. I'm busy dammit! Now, I make it a point to get there, no matter what. My last trip I walked two blocks in the snow (no joke) to get her some.

Of course when I brought them home she said, "You didn't have to bring me anything..." Jigga, please. I'm not falling for that one, crazy. Sadly, being jobless means no money to mail order her some brownies, so the Old Lady is out of luck. So I used this as an opportunity to try out a new recipe.I have heard so much about Baked and haven't had the chance to visit, so I thought I'd do what the rest of the internet is doing and test the waters with the free recipe. Brownies - every recipe is pretty similar, it's the combination and ingredients that make the difference. When I was making them I thought, what's so different about this...but I have to tell you, they were so damn good it was all I could do to not eat the whole pan myself.

I changed the recipe a bit but only because - like most of my baking endeavors - I decided to make these late at night and I could only work with the ingredients I had on hand. It didn't matter. They were fantastic.

Now O.G. is has been swayed. She LOVED these. Have I just made my life worse? Now instead of just going online and shipping her brownies I am now the on call brownie maker? Yikes. As it is I am already the on call gravestone designer. I am in my EIGHTH revision as we speak. OH. Idea! I should make her final tombstone mock up out of brownies and wrap it up for her Mother's Day gift. You may think it's morbid, but I know this woman - she'd be thrilled.

Baked brownies recipe, here.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Laurel said...

I love the Baked brownies, as well as everything else I've tried from their cookbook. It's pretty awesome.

Friday, May 08, 2009 7:29:00 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Brownie tombstone - do it!

Friday, May 08, 2009 9:01:00 AM  
Blogger dapotato said...

8th revision? damn.

sorry to hear about the recent craziness. those brownies look good.

Friday, May 08, 2009 9:21:00 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Sounds like this gravestone is going to be quite the monument!

Friday, May 08, 2009 9:30:00 AM  
Anonymous McCrum said...

I was in the grocery (Whole Foods) last week and stumbled upon the Fat Witch Mix. Offhand, it didn't seem too complex, chocolate comes from Ghiradelli chips and the rest is just a blondie mix when it all comes down to it.

Let me know, I'll send you some from NYC.

Also: Happy Mom's Day on Sunday.

Friday, May 08, 2009 10:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home