Tuesday, May 19, 2009

...don't want none unless you got buns, hon'.

I was looking at the wall of pictures at the kids' school. There were kids playing, learning, the usual. I noticed the Baby was in every picture. He saw me looking at them and proudly came up to me and said, "Look at deez pictures. Here I am scratchin' my butt." Yes. Indeed he was.

And here's where I segue into buns. Get it? When I visited Tartine in San Francisco, I'm pretty sure I found perfection. It came in the shape of a so called 'morning bun' and right then I decided nothing could come close.

I found the recipe online, but realized that I was in no mood to make croissant dough. So I did the next best thing and tried to improvise. I took the Barefoot Contessa idea of using puff pastry as a shortcut.

What I got, was next to amazing. Sure it didn't have that same doughy bun taste, but the flavor - WOW. Only after reading the recipe did I figure out that yes, it was the orange zest that made that Tartine bun so flavorful and fragrant. These had the same quality, albeit with a little extra crunch.

I made these twice and could not stop eating them. Didn't even share. Not even with the little butt scratcher.

Morning buns recipe

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger The Food Librarian said...

These look fantastic. Love the photo too! So pretty.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:03:00 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

What's scary to me is that I know exactly what you're talking about regarding Ina's puff pastry shortcut. I may have to try those.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:21:00 AM  
Blogger jami said...

My in-laws just arrived home from their 3-week stint in Point Reyes with morning buns from our favorite local bakery. When we're up there, we eat morning buns for breakfast EVERY DAY. Yum.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:17:00 PM  
Blogger Just call me Mommie Dearest said...

How do you not weigh 800 billion pounds? Send me some, please.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 6:45:00 PM  
Anonymous alibaba38 said...

The baby cracks me up!!

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 10:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home