Thursday, May 07, 2009

I can't think - think about this crazy day

This has been a WEEK. You know what I mean? And it's only Thursday. Kill me. First, the Kid was supposed to have surgery. Without going into it, it got all the way to them gassing him to make him relax when things suddenly went wrong and the surgery was cancelled. Thankfully, he's fine now - but it's been rescheduled, so it ain't over yet.

Later while playing, he poked himself in the eye and got a possible corneal abrasion. By 8 at night it was red and irritated. I was not in the mood to sit by myself with two kids in the ER for hours just to find out it was nothing. So I made him wear...a pirate eyepatch. Luckily we have plenty of those lying around. Turns out it was nothing. Yay for motherly instinct. (Or not caring enough. Either or.) Dodged the ER on that one.
Then the Kid went to Kindergarten orientation. There was a reception afterwards and he ate a cookie. He said, "This tastes funny." I looked at it super closely and it looked like peanuts. Needless to say I freaked. But...nothing happened. The nuts were small, but I tasted it and it seems like it was a cashew, and not a peanut. Still, I gave him Benadryl just in case. Now I'm confused. And a little migraine-y at this point.

While I dodged the ER earlier in the week, last night, I was not so lucky. In the middle of the night the Baby complained of a headache. Then revealed he had fallen and hit his head at school. What came next was an endless stream of vomit. First sign of possible head trauma. Since the Kid was sound asleep I had to call my mom to come watch him, while I rushed the Baby to the ER. There...were the sickest mofos you've ever seen. If there ever was a case study for swine flu, that waiting room would be it. EVERYONE had vomit bags and masks. So gross.

The Baby spewed and spewed. Everyone gave us the stink eye so we went outside. The Baby kept passing out, so the nurses assured me that due to his condition he was listed as 'urgent'. Turns out urgent means after four hours you still don't get seen. By 3am, I had had enough, and the Baby was tired. There was no way I could keep him awake so I made the decision that if he was going to die, it would be at home. Away from Flu-ville.This morning - he woke up. Honestly, I wasn't sure that he would. That's how bad things were. A trip to the pediatrician this morning told me that he most likely had a mild concussion. But since he uses his head as a hammer most of the time, who's to say that this won't happen again.

The kids think all this hanging out at home is a fun vacation. Without the blood and vomit, sure...great vacation. ~sigh~ I need a hole. A hole to climb into. Preferably with all you can eat coffee ice cream, all day spa massages and free Kate Spade purses. Must. Find. That. Hole.

Needless to say, there was A LOT of baking this week to relieve stress. Recipes to come.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger The Food Librarian said...

Holy crap! What an ordeal. That so sucks...especially your "urgent" status. Glad things turned out okay and you get to put the pirate patches on your "medical expenses" tax form.

BTW, I'm so food orientated I thought he had a CORNMEAL abrasion. I'm like, "Wow. Did he put a box of Jiffy cornmeal in his eye?"

Thursday, May 07, 2009 3:03:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Yes, that is a week! So sorry. Definitely sounds like a concussion to me.

Hope everyone is better soon!

Thursday, May 07, 2009 3:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Babs said...

Poor baby! That little arm with the hospital bracelet is the sweetest thing. I hope he gets better!

Thursday, May 07, 2009 3:18:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I got face wash w/grit in my eyes the other night and seriously thought I'd blinded myself. Wish I'd had 2 pirate patches.

Luckily, there really isn't vomiting with swine flu, but the ones with masks...eep...they should have been outside.

Thursday, May 07, 2009 3:23:00 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Yikes!

I thought about putting a pirate eye patch over my friend's kid's eye the other day when he had pink eye - but that was more for my own comfort than his health.

Thursday, May 07, 2009 3:44:00 PM  
Blogger bethany actually said...

Oh, man. I'm glad everyone seems to be okay now! Sorry for all the ER-going and sick-kid-scaring though. I look forward to the bake-fest.

Thursday, May 07, 2009 4:34:00 PM  
Blogger Sherry said...

so sorry to hear about the kids... i hope everyone is ok! going to the ER sucks shapoopie ass, especially with kids. i had to take my 1.5 year old and we were there for 7 hours. anyway, hope the kids are both doing better!

Thursday, May 07, 2009 8:26:00 PM  
Anonymous doki said...

hey there, long-time lurker here. bummer about all the illness--i have young kids so know how horrible it can be. hang in there--the bad times will pass (though that also means the good times will pass too so maybe that's not that comforting :-)

Thursday, May 07, 2009 8:44:00 PM  
Blogger lilsprinkles said...

sorry to hear...when it rains, it pours!

my son fell down a few steps and i REFUSED to let him nap! you are a trooper...for staying so calm and not yelling at the ER staff! i would have been a sobbing mess and/or bitch.

hang in there.

Thursday, May 07, 2009 8:46:00 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

What? I wasn't looking for one second and you had another ER visit? I'm glad you did some baking for relaxation.

Friday, May 08, 2009 12:50:00 AM  
Blogger susbro said...

Oh dear. I'm glad everyone is okay, what a week!

Friday, May 08, 2009 6:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another, long-time lurker.. I so feel for you, sense Feb my 5ry old daughter has spent a freakish amount of time doing ER visits & office visits. We even had the joy of all joys spending her bday, 1am er visit for a ear infection. As I called to cancel a 3 night stay @ the Disneyland Hotel , I like to be productive while we wait out turn @ the er. My daughter kept her plastic er bracelet cause it has her bday & name on it,, WTF?? Nice bday present? Now that some time passes my daughter enjoys telling people in line @ the store about her bday ER visit.
I promise, things will get better ! And some who kids find things to enjoy in these trying moments, at our expense.

Friday, May 08, 2009 7:43:00 AM  
Blogger Yvett said...

Wow, what a week. I hope the Kid and the Baby are alright now. So, do they recognize you at the ER?

Friday, May 08, 2009 9:18:00 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Have you had the coffee Ice Cream from Trader Joe's? No hole to climb in required. It is heaven. Vanilla Bean ice cream, but coffee. Complete with specks of coffee beans. Amazing. I wish they made single servings, because I cannot stop eating it until it is all gone!

Friday, May 08, 2009 9:26:00 AM  
Anonymous kat said...

oh.

Friday, May 08, 2009 2:03:00 PM  
Anonymous kagemom69 said...

You are my sista from another mista....I swear - you can't make this shit up!! Been having one of those weeks myself - except that it has been 6 MONTHS OF IT!!!! ER visits, brawls with an ex spouse, notes from school - drama, laughter, heartache - we have it all.....hang in there and keep smiling, make people wonder what you're up too...

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 6:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home