Sunday, May 31, 2009

If you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it .

Wagner's 'The Ring' is an opera institution, and right now they are doing a Ring series at the L.A. Opera. Our opera season pass gave us the opportunity to see Die Walkure. Even those not familiar with opera will know the music of the Ride of the Valkyries - think of any tv or movie scene that involves planes or bombing. However this interpretation of Wagner was...modern. REAL modern. As a lover of modern art, I have to say it was a bit too much. Placido Domingo was in a blue half monster suit and the Valkyries looked like members of the KISS Army. Too much.Before the opera I always take my mom to lunch. Usually somewhere we've never been before. This time we stayed close to downtown and went to the Chado Tea Room. Most people know Chado from the celebrity laden 3rd St. location, but this new outpost is located right inside the Japanese American Museum.
It's small but comfortable, and looks out onto an open patio. Since the museum is rarely open anymore, they even have their own street entrance, which is convenient. My mom went for the full tea, which I am glad I didn't get. I've been to a lot of teas, and I have to say, I didn't care for this one. The sandwiches were good, but I am definitely a sweets kinda gal and these were just EH.

Since this was located inside a Japanese museum I think they should have played that up a bit more with the menu. Added special Japanese tea 'sets' or sweets - considering the close proximity to Little Tokyo. But who cares. I brought my OWN dessert and pulled a pink mochi straight out of my purse to drink with my tea. Classy.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Hehe at BYO Mochi! Yes they could've definitely done a lot considering the Japanese link!

Monday, June 01, 2009 12:27:00 AM  
Anonymous kat said...

classy indeed young Eliza.

every time I hear Valkyries I sing

Vikings & Beekeepers
Vikings & Beekeepers
Living Together
Eating Their Lunch

I was saddened to find it was not one of the SCTV gang's favorite sketches.

Monday, June 01, 2009 4:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home