Monday, May 18, 2009

Strawberry Fields Forever

When I saw my friend LilSprinkles went to a strawberry farm, I just about died. Then when I saw it was just beyond the Orange Curtain in Irvine, I doubled died. It was so close - I just had to take the kids.

Tanaka Farms is a real working 30 acre farm, right in the heart of Irvine. They give daily tours and it's great for kids (and adults) who have no idea how fruits and vegetables are grown and harvested.It was even better than I could have imagined. An all organic farm, the tour really gives you an in depth look into small farming and you quickly realize the benefits of FRESH food. Most fruits and veggies that you buy in the market take a month to get there. Those things are MONTH old. Ew. On this tour (where you are pulled by a tractor, no less) you get to taste EVERYTHING picked right off the farm. We tasted fresh celery, bok choy, cilantro, Maui onions, carrots, snap peas and of course, strawberries.

When they let you off the tour you get to run amok in the fields, picking and eating whatever you want. It's craziness. And if you don't like it, or want it - you just toss it right back, because it will turn into compost.This was the Baby's favorite of all of our mini weekend trips. He just sat in the field, eating away. Not only was it all you can eat food, but you could litter. Meanwhile the Kid had a very hard time walking in dirt and insisted that we find water to wash the strawberries before we ate them. Poor little city boy.

Although it was a far drive, it was so worth it. The kids learned a lot and had a lot of fun, and of course I was happy to get organic produce. They have a watermelon picking tour in the summer, but I can just imagine the Kid getting a hernia trying to lift those suckers. Hello, ER. Or the Baby head butting every watermelon to make his own farm buffet. Hm. I think we'll wait for the fall tours...

More pictures of the Tanaka Strawberry Farm tour, here.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

I've heard they do a cool pumpkin patch at that farm in the fall. I might try to go this year.

I planted some strawberries, but they aren't fairing well with the squirrels. I don't even like them that much, but the guinea pigs do!

Monday, May 18, 2009 9:12:00 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

We take our students there in the fall for the pumpkin patch - you get to take home your own pumpkin, try pumpkin seeds, and go through a corn maze. In the summer, for the watermelon picking tour, you get to try all kinds of watermelon and pick your own watermelon - most of which are sized just right for little hands :)

oh, and if you need some refreshment, the snack stand carries shave ice in the same containers that Matsumoto's in Oah'u does! :)

Monday, May 18, 2009 9:41:00 AM  
Blogger The Food Librarian said...

I've been meaning to trek down there and go to this with my nieces and nephews! Looks like a great time!

Monday, May 18, 2009 11:04:00 AM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

I totally want that guys shirt.

Monday, May 18, 2009 11:21:00 AM  
Blogger bethany actually said...

Ooh! Irvine!? I might have to talk to Brenda about a little field trip!

Monday, May 18, 2009 12:22:00 PM  
Blogger dapotato said...

we need to go. too bad i didn't know about this when the hubs lived in that godforsaken city. i guess not completely godforsaken if this farm is there.

Monday, May 18, 2009 5:55:00 PM  
Blogger SAJ said...

hey! Next time you're in my neighborhood I demand to know! Just kidding. But thanks for the heads up. I completely forgot about Tenaka Farms strawberry picking!

Monday, May 18, 2009 6:58:00 PM  
Blogger lilsprinkles said...

the best, right?! i'm def going to do the watermelon tour and if i can get a group together, it's alot cheaper.

my fav (next to the strawberries) was cilantro! i was chomping away wishing they had some avocado to go with it!

Monday, May 18, 2009 10:25:00 PM  
Blogger xtena said...

Ha! I bought strawberries from that farm!

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 1:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Reginald said...

I absolutely match with everything you've presented us.
Sildenafil | buy generic sildenafil | sildenafil online

Saturday, December 17, 2011 5:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home