Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I met someone at the dog show, she was holding my left arm

Mecha King GROOMdorah and BRIDEzilla
I have two very good friends, and if they ever asked me to be anywhere - I'd make sure I was there. If they ever asked me to bake for them - I'd do it. This is how I found myself carting 100 cupcakes with me to a wedding in San Diego.

The wedding was non-traditional, just they way they wanted it. Married on the beach, very small - just family and close friends. The party was back at a gorgeous rented beach house, and the food - an all you can eat made to order taco stand and all you can drink Faygo soda. Have you ever had melt in your mouth freshly made tortillas? Best. Wedding food. Ever.For dessert I was honored that they wanted me to make their wedding cupcakes. After a tasting they decided on Red Velvet and Ovaltine w/Chocolate Ganache + Vanilla Sea Salt. The Groom loves him some Ovaltine. When they asked me to make the cupcakes, doing 100 wasn't a problem, I've done that many times (too many, I think) so 100 was nothing. What I was worried about was getting them 2 hours south to San Diego AND would the guests even like them?I lucked out and everything went as planned, and the guests all had great things to say, so that was good. Hands down it was the best wedding I've ever been to. The casual-ness of it and the love that you knew everyone felt between the couple and for the couple. I know they will have a great future together, but how can you not - when you start it out by walking down the aisle to They Might Be Giants? Congrats, guys!

More wedding pics, here
.

Labels: , , , , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Darlene said...

THANK YOU for coming, for baking, for laying out the cupcakes (yeah, we all had our hands full) and for being the awesome person you are. Oh, for for listening to my mom.

So glad you were able to share the day with us and share the quirky, frenzy fueled wedding that reflected us.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:01:00 AM  
Blogger bethany actually said...

What a fantastic wedding! I love weddings that are so personalized like that. My friends Erin & Rocco's wedding was like that (the one I made the cake for) and I loved being a part of it.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:55:00 AM  
Blogger Emi said...

I was oogling your piggy biscuits and came across this post. I am just curious, who catered the food at the wedding? I'm in SD and now I'm craving yummy Mexican food.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:02:00 AM  
Blogger The Food Librarian said...

Damn. What a fantastic wedding. And what great cupcakes. You so rock.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Hilary said...

Faygo Red Pop! I used to drink that stuff as a kid. Are the bride and groom from Michigan?? Even if they're not, they obviously have great taste in soda.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:05:00 AM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

That sounds like a perfect wedding. Taco bar! People after my own heart.

What They Might Be Giants Song?

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 10:56:00 AM  
Blogger Yum-e said...

They look fabulous! And I know first hand how they taste too! Awesome awesome job and a very lucky lucky wedding couple. :) The wedding sounded beautiful - glad everything went well and that the cupcakes went off without a hitch...

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 11:14:00 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

Awwm how sweet!

I walked down the aisle to the Imperial March.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 11:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Babs said...

What an awesome wedding! The food sounds great! And I'm sure the cupcakes with the business!

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger Just call me Mommie Dearest said...

Here come the 123s...123s!

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 1:15:00 PM  
Blogger suburban housefrau said...

I want to know how big those muffin liners are - did you sit and cut all those out?

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:51:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

@Emi: Yhoyo's. Good tacos.

@Hilary: Yes, the Groom was from Michigan, but who doesn't love Faygo?? One of my FAVE root beers...

@sizzle "She's An Angel"

@suburbanhousefrau: The muffin liners are large, as in tall, but fit in a regular muffin pam (see the prep picture from Saturday). You fill them as you would any cupcake liner, and no I did NOT cut them all out. I thought about it but luckily found them premade at Surfas.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Hilary said...

Jen, I'm surprised you know of Faygo! It's pretty much only sold in MI. I didn't know they made root beer, we only drank the red pop.

The things I learn on the Internet

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:39:00 PM  
Blogger Emi said...

Thanks for the response!

PS..tell your friends their wedding was absolutely gorgeous. May steal the house rental idea for mine! =)

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:18:00 PM  
Blogger suburban housefrau said...

ahhh. when some cupcake maker was on Martha it was all about her environmentally friendly cupcake liners made out of parchment instead of regular cupcake liners. why don't I have a surfas here, whinnnnne?

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:57:00 AM  
Anonymous kat said...

which TMBG (who will be at the vogue again in Oct)?

love the faygo bottles.

it was a sad day in my family when all the tortilla makers got lazy. luckily, I know how. and I eat em off the griddle.

the cupcakes are beautiful. good job cater-girl.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 7:46:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

ah, had to hit publish to see your response on the tmbg. sorry. I did look.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 7:47:00 PM  
Blogger photogirl said...

Jen, I couldn't get enough of the red velvets that night. They were so delicious! And it was such a pleasure to meet you!

Happy baking!

Ani

Saturday, June 20, 2009 4:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home