Friday, June 26, 2009

Ray: Listen... do you smell something?

I consider Not Quite Nigella a friend. Meaning I trust her. So when I saw a recipe for Chickpea Cookies on her site, well - I stopped in my tracks. What the?

Turns out they are from the Jessica Seinfeld book Deceptively Delicious, where she hides vegetables in recipes. Er - this does not sound good to me. Personally I believe that kids should learn about vegetables and learn to eat them in a healthy way, not by deceiving them. This is why I take the kids to the farmer's markets on a weekly basis - to get them interested in fresh produce. But, what do I know.Some would argue - well, as long as they are getting the vegetables right? Yeah but this recipe called for an ass-ton of butter and chocolate? Doesn't seem healthy to me. Still I thought it was so ridiculous I had to try it.

Was it weird? Yes, but if I didn't tell you there were chickpeas in there you'd have thought they were nuts. O.G. hated them and asked me "Can you make these without the chickpeas?" HA! Hello, that was the point!! So I shipped them off to a pregnant woman who LOVES chickpeas. She thought they were great - then again, she's pregnant and would probably eat anything that arrived on her doorstep.

I don't like being faked out, so I probably won't be making them again, but give 'em a go and let me know what you think. Maybe they'd work for April Fool's or something...

Chocolate Chip CHICKPEA Cookies recipe

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger The Food Librarian said...

They were okay (ate them all!), but there are about as "healthy" as an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie. And I like the garbanzo so I would have enjoyed them separately :) (Oh yeah, I'm not the preggers friend...in case George Clooney reads your blog).

Friday, June 26, 2009 6:45:00 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I agree with you about teaching kids about veggies but I also read that the point of that book was not just to trick the kids into eating healthy but to add a little bit of healthy food into the not so healthy stuff too. I have another book that is along the same lines and the author of it says that it takes offering something new to a kid a LOT of times before they WANT to try it. Cooking this way she doesn't feel like she has to fight with the kids every night if they don't want to try the veggie thats being served. Although I grew up in a house where you ate what Mom made or you went hungry and I think there is something to be said for that too. It is a tricky subject I suppose.

Friday, June 26, 2009 9:44:00 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Ewww...I LOVE garbanzos, but those sound disgusting.

Friday, June 26, 2009 1:18:00 PM  
Blogger Yum-e said...

Preggers friend checkin' in! And she's right about the garbanzos tasting like nuts. You would have never known. I actually brought a couple in for co-workers to try not telling them about the beans and they thought it was chocolate chip with nuts. They LOVED IT! so though I'd eat anything, these non-preggers folks still liked em'. I'd make em just so that I could feel a little better about eating chocolate chip cookies. ha! thanks much for the munchies Jenn! Baby LOVED them! (and so did I :) )

Friday, June 26, 2009 2:05:00 PM  
Blogger BentoForKidlet said...

I am with you on children learning to eat vegetables and enjoying them for what they are.

I checked that book out of library once and decided it was much easier to teach my son to enjoy veg than to go about hiding them in everything.

Friday, June 26, 2009 5:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Sounds like O.G. just hated the idea of eating chickpeas. I really don't think you can tell that they are chickpeas at all, as you adn other have mentioned they taste just like nuts.

Friday, June 26, 2009 9:11:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

I've never gotten around to trying the recipe. I got it on a healthier way to eat vein and not trick the kids.

similarly but different - we tried vegan fake beef from TJs this weekend. reminded me of dog treats. a few hours later I was bagging it for the actual dog and it wasn't as bad then. will have to further experiment.

Monday, June 29, 2009 1:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home