Friday, June 19, 2009

Your move

So I took the Kid to college and enrolled him in early admissions. Clearly he is a child genius and although only 5 years old, I'm sure he can handle the pressure and survive the dorms.Just kidding.

I did take him to Cal State L.A. though. They were having an exhibit of chess sets, and for some reason the Kid has decided that he'd like to learn chess. I can't help him with that. I know nothing about it nor do I have any interest. What I can do is show him pieces of art. The Munitz Chess Collection is currently on display at the University Library. The exhibit is small, but shows an array of different decorative pieces and designs.

Let me just tell you, I hate going east of the 110 fwy. Anywhere else in this city I am comfortable finding my way around. East - not so much. O.G. (who was with us) decided we needed to move West to go to lunch. Between the two of us, with no maps or directions, we finally found our way to Boyle Heights (her comfort zone), then on to downtown (my comfort zone).We ended up on Alameda and decided to stop at historic Olvera Street for lunch. I haven't been there since I was a Girl Scout in the 5th grade. O.G. hasn't been there since 1785 or something crazy. It's just so...touristy. Which you can tell by the prices on the menus. Still being back and seeing it with the Kid was fun.We ate at the historic La Golondrina - "the original Los Angeles Mexican restaurant." The Kid had "the best quesadilla I've ever eaten in my whole life, Mommy!", I had taquitos (what else) and the O. to the G. had tortilla soup. But it was unlike any tortilla soup we've seen before. It was downright hearty. She ate every last drop of that thing and asked the waiter for the recipe. O.G. makes really good Mexican soups so I knew she'd want to replicate this one. Only she didn't. She wanted ME to replicate it. Great. I think I have a good idea of how to do it, we'll see how that all works out.It was a good day trip and O.G. is fully ready to go back to Olvera Street for eats soon - but Cal State L.A., not so much. There was too much 'where the hell are we?" I don't think we'll be going east of downtown for a quite a while, ya'll can keep the SGV to yourself...

More pics here -
Cal State L.A. chess exhibit
Olvera Street

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger The Food Librarian said...

When you perfect the tortilla soup, could you give me the recipe? Or call when it's ready to eat? :)

Nothing like chess and tortilla love.

Friday, June 19, 2009 7:54:00 AM  
Blogger BentoForKidlet said...

I second that! The soup looks delicious, I've never seen tortilla soup that looks so good before!

Friday, June 19, 2009 8:58:00 AM  
Blogger bethany actually said...

Wow, you weren't kidding about HEARTY.

Friday, June 19, 2009 9:34:00 AM  
Blogger Yvett said...

Oh my goodness. You're making my stomach growl. I LOVE Olvera Street.
Tortilla soup sounds soooooo good. I think I'll make that for dinner tonight. I see celery in that picture, though. Hmm, I've never had it with celery.

Friday, June 19, 2009 1:49:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

I want that tortilla soup (and I've NEVER said that) and those SHOES!

Friday, June 19, 2009 2:04:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I think I ate there once many years ago and remember it being quite good. One of the few things I cook is a tortilla soup, but I don't really like it. I usually make it too spicy and can't eat it. E loves it though so I make it for him from time to time.

Sunday, June 21, 2009 2:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home