Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Puff daddy

What have you been craving? I've been craving creampuffs. I have no idea why - but Beard Papa's sounded fantastic lately.

I usually get my fix at Hollywood and Highland, but I knew there was a location in Gardena inside the Japanese market, Marukai. I also knew it'd be a good way to take a night off from cooking, since they have a mini food court in there.

The kids had a Sushi Boy kid's meal. For $5 you get teriyaki chicken and rice, cucumber sushi, a mini jello, a toy AND a drink. Now that's a fast food meal I can get behind. Cheap and healthy.

I decided to go to Shinsengumi, an outpost of the original noodle house, this one still had all the same noodle dishes, but a little bar to sit at - just like in Japan. The kids made themselves at home and looked like two little old men having lunch and reading the paper. Ah, a look into 60 years from now.

For $8 I got the Ramen set, which was a big steamy bowl of hot ramen noodles, a side plate of gyoza dumplings AND some freakin' delicious fried rice. Man, was that tasty.

As I went to sit the kids at a table, I stopped dead in my tracks. The next restaurant over had a sign that they were selling...RABBIT SHAPED MOCHI. What!? Sadly it's only for three days - July 23-26, of course I'll be out of town, dammit!! Still, I hope to send out some of my Mochi Scouts to try it out in my absence. Mochi Scouts. Like Girl Scouts, but chewier.

Finally the whole point of the trip, Beard Papas. They only had original and the chocolate covered eclair ones left, but that was fine with me. Sometimes they have flavors like mango and green tea, but I don't need my creampuffs fancied up anyway, thanks.

Afterwards we went shopping in the market, but can someone tell me why the hell Asian markets are so FREEZING COLD. It's like they pump the a/c to Antarctica levels. We bought some snacks and headed home. Full of noodles and creampuffs.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Babs said...

The kids are getting big! And I am loving the baby bento boxes!

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 7:47:00 AM  
Blogger The Food Librarian said...

I'm getting that kids meal...when I get the rabbit shaped mochi, damnit!

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:03:00 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Funny! Why does Japanese food always come in "sets?" I always like browsing the fake food displays before deciding on the "lady set" or the "noodle set." Very funny!

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:39:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

STILL haven't tried Beard Papa's. I guess I'm always at H&H too late because I've never seen it open.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 12:01:00 PM  
Blogger lilsprinkles said...

funny how i don't really care for cream puffs. do you hate me now? but i do LOVE the marukai food court!

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:23:00 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I never tire of Beard Papa's. There's a location at the Americana as well, if you're ever back in the G-Dizzy.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:58:00 PM  
OpenID discotrash said...

man the next time im in LA i want to find this food court. everything looks amazing

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:05:00 AM  
Blogger e said...

Seriously. Damnit. I need to move to LA for the food alone.

I can't believe I'm stuck in the wasteland that is Texas, while people are getting delicious cream puffs.

Jenn - Can you visit San Antonio Texas and scout out yummy foods for me? Dude - so your next job, you'd kick Rachel R's arse at $40/day!

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 11:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home