Thursday, July 16, 2009

What up dawg?

For some reason I was craving corndogs. And while it's true, I do own every kitchen appliance known to man (as I've been accused of) so yes, I do own a deep fryer - I was not in the mood to bring it out. Plus I always want to try to go healthy...-er, when it comes to the kid's food.

Who are we kidding, I know baked corn dogs aren't as good as fried ones, but I thought I'd give it a go. I mixed up a batch of 'dough/batter' and covered the dawgz. They baked up pretty well and turned out really tasty!

Knowing I'd be giving the kids corndogs that didn't look like they usually do, I tried to make up for it with a ton of fun condiments. I took a cupcake pan and in the liners put all the things they could eat with their corndogs.

The kids loved the dogs so I don't even think the fun-diments were necessary, but they sure look cute in the tray. What can I cram in there next? A steak dinner??

Baked Corndogs recipe

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger dokiquilts said...

long time lurker, love your blog, etc. etc. :-) do you have any hints on rolling the hot dog in the cornbread mix? i haven't done this yet but worry it'll be a gloppy mess. i use the trader joe's cornbread mix--it's pretty yummy. i have 3 young kids and think this is an awesome idea!

Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:18:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

@dokiquilts Since my recipe is more of a dough - it shapes itself onto the hot dog pretty well. I would assume that any time of batter, would most likely run off when laying down in the oven...

Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:47:00 PM  
Anonymous HoustonGurly said...

All you need is some pickled okra in your muffin tray! :)

Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:54:00 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I love the "fun-diments" I tried to make corndogs once but they just ended up as a hot dog sitting in a kind of corn-y pancake. Maybe I'll try this recipe for another go-round.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Heidi said...

I love how you make everything a fun party-like adventure for your kids!! That's what life is about.

Friday, July 17, 2009 5:20:00 AM  
Anonymous kat said...

ha ha. those plates are "ship shape".

Monday, July 20, 2009 4:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home