Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Jemaine: You're so beautiful you could be a part time model, but you'd probably have to keep your regular job.

Things have been crazy this summer. The Kid goes to Kindergarten in a matter of weeks so I want to make the most of our time together by enjoying the city. It's a known fact that my hipster children and I enjoy Silver Lake/Los Feliz, especially on a nice warm summer day, so we went out and about.

The goal for today was tacos and seeing as how the Kid has decided he 'doesn't like tacos' - I know, believe me, I've already written him out of the will - the first stop was The Cheese Store of Silverlake to grab him a sandwich for later. Hey, I was in a giving mood.

He enjoyed fishing out little cornichons to eat with his lunch because if it's one thing this kid adores, it's tiny pickles. Or fishing things out of vats, who knows.

After a wait in the insanely long line for coffee at Intelligentsia, (Still the best coffee in L.A., in my opinion.) we headed over to Best Fish Taco in Ensenada. If you haven't heard of this place, they are really some damn good tacos.

And how simple is the menu - only three things and at just $1.50, it's a great cheap lunch. The fish is perfectly fried, not greasy, and the corn tortillas are soft with a terrific bite. With all the salsas to choose from, I went WIMPY and stuck with the MILD. A wise choice if you ask me. Personally, I like the shrimp tacos, which are also a low $2. Hey, even the Flight of the Conchords eat here.

Our bellies were full, but the sun was heating up - so to cool off we headed to Scoops. Not close by, but who wouldn't venture out just to eat ice cream? Especially this ice cream.

Scoops is THE place for hand crafted ice cream. Brown bread, Taro White Chocolate, Miso Mascarpone Cheese, Blueberry Lemongrass - these are flavor combos you can only dream about. The Baby chose Banana Oreo and the Kid went for Mexican Banana. Yeesh, seeing as how I HATE banana, you can bet I did not ask for a taste of theirs. (The Brown Bread was divine.)


As you can tell the Baby was NOT deterred by this day full of eating. He two fisted that ice cream right into his baby mouth. Obviously he's just prepping for his career in competitive eating.

And with that, our food adventure was done. It was hard work, but it was time to head home for naps. Ah, the summer life...

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Just call me Mommie Dearest said...

Aren't tacos the goal every day?

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:09:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I can walk to that taco place from work, but I hate fish so I'd go for the cheese sandwich too! I still haven't been to that coffee place and it's been to Scoops in over a year. I'm always in the neighbor too, in spite of not being a hipster. Boo. I suck.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:56:00 AM  
Blogger The Food Librarian said...

I want to start K again so I can go around town and eat.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:17:00 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

You're making me homesick for my days in Los Feliz...visiting my old haunts. Have not been to that taco place...better than Yuca's?

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:12:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

why, oh why, does everyone want to make me try fish tacos? maybe a crawdaddy sopapilla? or perhaps a scallop empallita? of course not. so why persist with the fish taco?

(if this is the third time I apologize. please delete the previous).

Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home