Monday, August 17, 2009

Julia Child: “The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook”

I went with The Baking Posse to see Julie and Julia. Eh. It was good. I enjoyed it, but I could have used more Julia and less Julie. Or more FOOD shots. I watch my Julia Child dvds on the regular, so maybe I just have an attachment to her.

What did come across well is that food makes people happy. I have to agree. This week I made a few of these to deliver:

If you are from Hawaii, have visited Hawaii, or heck even go to the King's Hawaiian bakery - then you know about Dobash. It's a light chocolate cake, but what puts it over the top is the pudding like frosting. It's surprisingly not as rich as it looks - just the right amount of sweet.

Usually it's a layer cake. Which is all fine and dandy but I don't know about you, it sure is hard to stop eating slices of cake after cake. Also, cakes are hard to hand out to multiple people unless you want to make more than one cake. Uh. No thanks. So I thought, what if I made them into...cupcakes? Turned out to be the best thing ever. Easy to transport, fun to eat and with the same great flavor.

As for the movie - it was fun for bloggers to see it cause I think most bloggers can relate to meltdowns and whether or not you are 'telling too much' about your life. When I run into people who read this blog the first thing they always say is, 'I've never seen your face!' It's true. I like it like that. Maybe it's because I deliver my cupcakes wearing these.

Hawaiian Chocolate Dobash Cupcakes


Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous poppy said...

perfect post for Hawaii's upcoming 50th birthday! I love dobash--and could live off the frosting alone!

Monday, August 17, 2009 5:16:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Wow, I feel dumb. I've both been to Hawaii and King's Hawaiian Bakery (one of my Hawaii trips was one I won from King's Hawaiian!)and have never heard of this. Sounds yummy! I wish I lived closer to you so I was on your delivery route. How obnoxious of me to assume I would be! I'd watch your kids or something though to earn it!

Monday, August 17, 2009 9:49:00 AM  
Blogger bethany actually said...

I love the one heart on each cupcake.

I saw Julie & Julia with three other bloggers, including one who is 80 years old! It was fun to see the movie with her, and we all enjoyed it. I think I enjoyed it more having read the book first, though. If I hadn't read the book and known more of the backstory I don't think I'd have enjoyed it as much.

Monday, August 17, 2009 12:21:00 PM  
Blogger Keri said...

DOBASH...

*drool*

My all time favorite cake. I'm not really a big dessert person either and I can eat the whole round. :P
I've always wondered how to make this. Yay! Thanks for sharing!

Monday, August 17, 2009 4:28:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

it would be horribly dreadful (for me) if they ever put julie in a movie with juno. even if I never saw it.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:56:00 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

How funny, I never realized that Dobash was a Hawaii thing, I just always thought it was a cake thing. Guava chiffon, ok, I know that's a Hawaii thing (or as I recall, a Dee-Lite bakery thing.)

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home