Monday, August 10, 2009

To die by your side, well, the pleasure, the privilege is mine.

Jenn: "This gravestone better be put in before you die, is all I can say."
O.G.
: "I will look at it from heaven."

Jenn
: "What. You better learn to read upside down."

O.G.
: "What?"

Jenn
: "Nothing."


Where does O.G. think the kids and I should go for fun? Why to the cemetery of course. But we had good reason, the gravestone marker, that caused me so much grief, took so much time - was FINALLY installed. Hooray.

It was kind of momentous to see something we had worked so long on, finally complete. It was everything she wanted (thank goodness) and she was crazy happy.

The kids were off from school so I had to bring them along. To them the whole thing was fun with O.G. in a giant grass filled park. Er, except there were dead people there, hello. But they understood that they had to be respectful, DESPITE O.G.'s pleas for them to 'run around'. Sheesh. Troublemaker.

The kids actually had a good time helping her put the flowers in the vase. I just kinda stood back and missed my Grandpa a little too much. I realized that door on this whole thing which has been ongoing since March, is finally closed.

I still think it's weird to see your own name readied on a tombstone, but whatever, it's what O.G. wants. I told her we shoulda put in a fake death day just to save the $100 later. Well, I do have that Sharpie in my purse...

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Hilary said...

OK that's a little creepy for me Jenn. Actually, a LOT creepy.

Monday, August 10, 2009 9:47:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Actually it's pretty normal to put your name and birth date on a gravestone and leave it open...

I wouldn't do it - but the funeral home told us it's fairly common.

Monday, August 10, 2009 9:57:00 AM  
Blogger Christy said...

I feel like it's a total Asian thing to do. When I went to visit my grandpa's gravestone, I saw my grandma's name and birthdate on it, while she was standing next to me.

Monday, August 10, 2009 6:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Hilary said...

Hmm. Maybe I'm not used to it because us Jews don't even put a headstone up until a year after. Now I need to find out why...

Monday, August 10, 2009 7:16:00 PM  
Blogger The Daily Randi said...

I agree: Creepy!

BTW, what you guys did, we Jews call an "Unveiling." We do it A Year Or So After The Death. Then, we go back to someone's house and eat Bagels and Lox.

So, I hope you got some Bagels right after!

Monday, August 10, 2009 7:25:00 PM  
Anonymous LW said...

For all your heartache, that really did turn out beautiful! With OG's family crest on top?

Monday, August 10, 2009 9:32:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

I'm just SO glad there hasn't been some yay-hoo (yet) that had to point out how terrible you are for having a sharpie. I also wonder where the donkies are hiding!?!

Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Steven said...

This can't have effect in actual fact, that is exactly what I consider.
this site

Monday, March 05, 2012 6:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home