Monday, September 07, 2009

Everyone smiles as you drift past the flowers, that grow so incredibly high

My SIL's baby shower was this weekend, and since I've done so many other parties, I'm now an expert and I was ready and set up...three hours...early. What. So we just sat and rested. I guess it's better than a mad rush to the finish.

I set up the food table with sandwiches and snacks - Baby Cupcakes of course, can't have a baby shower without baby cupcakes, am I right? And this time around I did something different - in the past I've done a cereal bar, a snack-chips bar, but this time I thought it'd be cute to do a Milk and Cookies bar.

I don't know why I didn't think of it before, it's perfect for people who want to go up and just grab a little something throughout the party. Also if you don't want to bake 180 mini cookies from scratch like I did, (because I am crazy) just go buy pre-packaged cookies from the store and do the same set up. It's still cute, either way.

It was crazy hot in the house - beach houses don't have air conditioning you see, it's only hot about one month a year, anyway - so the drinks went pretty quickly. I set up Pomegranate Limeade, and ice water. But I infused the ice water with flava by cutting up thick slices of ripe pineapple and adding it to the water. (A trick I saw at a local restaurant.) It gives the water a nice crisp taste without being overpowering, PERFECT on a blazing hot day.

For favors I made Buzz Notes notepads (see the flower theme, here?) and then I made Chocolate Chip Mascarpone Cupcakes, and decorated them with little sugared flowers. I bought a bunch of different kinds so it'd really look like a garden - then I put them in little flower pots, which REALLY made them look real. It was a cute party favor that people seemed happy to take home. And it was edible. Always a plus.

The mom2be got SO MANY presents (I knew she would) so I did a little game called "Baby Bingo". Basically your fill in the squares on the card with what you think she is going to receive and then as she opens it, you mark off your card - just like BINGO. It was fun and kept people from being bored. I mean how many onesies can you ooh and ahh over? (A lot, apparently.)

I did just one more game and that was "The Price is Right". I got ten baby items from Target, and the guests had to guess the price without going over. Closest to the actual price, got a point. It was a lot tougher than you'd think. For instance the 9oz baby bottle cost the SAME as the 5oz baby bottle, 99 cents! What's up with that?

The party was quick, and a lot of fun. Hopefully my SIL will be prepared once the baby comes, she should...look at all this loot!!

More shower pictures, here.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger xtena said...

i love the price is right game. the favors are cool, too!

Monday, September 07, 2009 10:59:00 PM  
Blogger The Food Librarian said...

You need to set yourself up as a baby shower planner! Fun looking party!

Tuesday, September 08, 2009 9:37:00 AM  
Anonymous cbeans said...

Awesome, awesome, AWESOME! The flower pots with the mini cupcakes were beautiful! It does look like a garden and I wonder how many people will be making their own cupcake gardens after reading this post. :)

At my co-worker's baby shower, they played the price is right game also and it was the best game ever! Love your presentation!

Great job as usual - I agree with Food Librarian...consulting would be even better!

Tuesday, September 08, 2009 10:15:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Is that a donut on a cupcake? You are a culinary genius.

Sunday, September 13, 2009 9:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Cassi said...

Another flawless job as usual! I love the pineapple infused water - sounds perfect, and the Price Is Right game had to be fun - great idea :)

Sunday, September 20, 2009 10:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home