Sunday, September 27, 2009

Food, glorious food.

Hang on, trying to get my bearings here, I just got back from San Francisco for blogHER FOOD '09! It's been a whirlwind couple of days. I was only in the city for less than 48 hours - and let me tell you, every second was jam packed. Aside from the conference I saw a lot of Bay area friends and ate a lot of food. A LOT of food. Wow.

I've never attended a blogHER conference and never wanted to - that is until they decided to do one solely focused on food. Hm. How can I resist? The schedule was filled with seminars like photography, how to take your blog to the next level, copyright protection - really informative lectures that were very helpful. I wish I could have attended all of them.

It was cool to see the faces of bloggers behind the blogs you read everyday. Not just the well known bloggers who were speakers, but all the attendees. WHO KNEW there were so many food bloggers? I mean seriously - I'm sure there are thousands more too, who didn't come. I may be the only person in the world who doesn't ever show their face, so it was funny to run into people who do read my blog or have seen my cupcakes.

I got to hang out with Cookie Madness, which was great because I feel like I already knew her via reading her blog and twitter, same goes for Nicole of Baking Bites, notMartha and Joy the Baker and all the other people who I've read for so long. And of course the Food Librarian, but she and I tore up the town outside of the conference but that's another story for another day.

There were some annoyances, my main grievance is the fact that it seemed like they just rolled out their same blogHER sponsors who happened to sell food related items. Er, are you really trying to sell me aerosol canned frosting? Me, who only bakes from scratch and thinks 'box mix' is a four letter word? Hm. Also it was great that they gave us a free lunch, but three courses of frozen pasta? Food bloggers hardly seem like the target audience for this. Maybe their regular blogHER conference crowd would be fine with it, but I had just left a seminar where we talked about how to photograph a simmering beef stew with olive oil and crusty bread. Yeah, frozen ravioli - not so much, thanks.

There were cooking demos, by Top Chef's Ryan who made a really tasty frittata on sourdough sandwich, and Elizabeth Falker who owns Citizen Cake. She made a very cool chocolate box which I must recreate for a party, for what I have no idea, but it looked damn cool. Coincidentally I had a reservation at her restaurant this weekend and the food was AMAZING. She is a great chef AND the pastries were to die for. No wonder she was on Top Chef Masters.

Overall it was a great time. I got to see and talk to a lot of my favorite bloggers and also picked up a lot of tips.They really packed a lot into one day. I can't wait to see if they start doing these in different cities and I'm pretty sure I'll be going next year, I bet it will be even better! As long as no one forces me to spray aerosol frosting into my mouth...

Tomorrow - the city. And what I ate. And ate. And...ate.

More blogHER FOOD '09 pictures, here.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Andrea (Off Her Cork) said...

I wanted to go so badly but by the time I decided to just go, tickets were sold out. Boo! But I am going to another foodie event in Nov in SanFran so it all works out.

I have to agree with you about the sponsors though! I saw that stuff on some other blogs and thought, "What? Who wants to eat that crap?" Easy Frosting and frozen processed foods? I'll pass. Jeesh!

Monday, September 28, 2009 6:04:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I'm such a bad person. There's only one thing I've ever baked that didn't come from a box (well, the molasses was in a jar. Eep!) If it weren't for frozen food and restaurants, I'd never eat! No wonder I'm so unhealthy. I must ponder changing my ways.

Monday, September 28, 2009 10:26:00 AM  
Blogger suburban housefrau said...

That's funny, because there are only 3 blogs that I really read EVERY day - yours, Cookie Madness, and NotMartha. ;)

Monday, September 28, 2009 12:30:00 PM  
Blogger joanh said...

i read about blogHer here and there, that's so cool they had one just for food

Tuesday, October 06, 2009 4:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home