Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Gotta eat and run

My short stint in San Francisco consisted of seeing as many people as possible and eating as much as possible. Mission accomplished. Since I was there for such a short time I felt like I was running everywhere, it didn't help that my short 45 min flight was delayed 2-1/2 hours. Grr - fog.
First stop was the offices of Foodbuzz, who held an Open House luncheon on Friday. In a weird coincidence, on my way there I found out that I was named the winner of the Foodbuzz Festival logo contest! They are such a nice group of people, I really wish I could attend the event in November because it looks AMAZING. I mean, a three day festival of just eating?! Too awesome.

I stopped by the Glen Park area to visit Perch, a home and gift store who has carried my stationery in the past. Wow, what a fantastic store. They have such a great selection of items! Since my friend's kid was with us, we stopped by a bakery for a snack. As we sat there munching on cookies, the store closed. As we got up to leave they told us we could TAKE ALL THE BAKED GOOD WE COULD CARRY. Uh, have you ever wondered what you would do in that situation? Knowing I was going back to a hotel I held back. But my friend who is pregnant and hungry took. it. all. And what the heck, they were going to dump it all anyway. We're talking cinnamon rolls, muffins, pecan rolls, croissants, LOAVES OF BREAD. It was amazing.

Before I even knew Elizabeth Falkner was going to be at the conference, I had made a reservation at Citizen Cake - and I'm glad I did. The food was fantastic, just really flavorful and perfectly cooked. The flank steak with horseradish ice cream worked really well together, who knew? But of course the pastries. OH the pastries. She is talented and you could taste it in every bite. I need to get her book Demolition Desserts, now.

And finally, my last indulgence, Bi-Rite ice cream. I have to say, I know my ice cream and this has to be some of the best I've EVER tasted. It was just perfectly proportioned as far as taste and texture and it just left you feeling...good! My friend had the strawberry-kiwi sorbet and I had the Malted Vanilla with Peanut Brittle. It was amazing, I'll have to try and recreate that - sans the peanuts, of course.

The trip was so short I didn't even get to visit a bunch of other people OR go stroll the Ferry Building, which is the absolute BEST place for foodies. Not only that, I arrived at Miette one minute past closing! Not that I needed to eat any more, but still. Disappointment. ~sigh~ Maybe next time.

More SF pictures, here.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Andrea (Off Her Cork) said...

You won the logo contest?! That's awesome! And that's the festival I'm going to. I'm pretty stoked about it. :D

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:49:00 AM  
Anonymous crotchpuncher said...

congrats on winning the logo contest!

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 12:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Peeved Michelle said...

After my last trip to SF when my plane was delayed so long that I could have driven there faster, I implemented a new rule. I don't fly anywhere that I can drive to in 6 hrs or less.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 1:18:00 PM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

I'm super glad I saved this until I had just eaten. Though I still want a cookie. YUM.

Congrats on the win!

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:28:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Congrats on your win! And I'd have gone all Supermarket Sweep in that bakery at closing and bought an extra duffel bag to take all that goodness home. Heh.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home