Friday, September 18, 2009

Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?

I've created a monster. The Kid is a mini me in every way. He loves art, he gets terribly distressed about things and most of all, he is a foodie. For someone with so many dietary restrictions/pickiness, it's hard to believe.

That first week of kindergarten I was just too harried (screw in my popcorn, anyone?) to realize I'd have to make his lunch everyday, so I packed up a crappy sandwich quick-like. He came home that day and said "Can't you put together something else for lunch, say...fruit? Maybe some chicken salad with a little mayo?" You've GOT to be kidding. Suddenly it's Top Chef: Lunch Bag edition up in here. Good lord.

I am not going to be a mom who goes nuts making crazy fancy lunches for my kids. I am not. Oh who am I kidding, I'm sure it will happen down the road, but luckily I'm too busy right now.

So I've been trying out recipes at dinner to see what he likes and doesn't and what will work in a lunchbox. So I threw together a chicken salad PER HIS HIGHNESS'S REQUEST. I added apples for crunch and bacon, for well - bacon, and the kids ate it up! Great. Who knows what the world's smallest food critic will request next. Now I guess THIS is how I'll have to drive him to school. Gotta bust out the silver spoon and linen napkins for the Clone Wars lunchbag...

Chicken Apple Salad with bacon on croissant recipe, here.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Renee said...

You make the best kid's meals. You could open a kid's cafe. :)

Love your blog and your recipes.

Friday, September 18, 2009 4:11:00 PM  
Blogger msdina said...

I am so totally going to say this, but I'm really surprised you haven't jumped on the whole Bento making bit with all the prettified lunches and stuff. Saw a cookbook while in Hawaii, and was totally tempted to pick it up, flipped thru it and all the recipes are already things that I do... I just don't have the time with the cutters and such to make faces on my rice and crap li'dat. Lol.

Friday, September 18, 2009 10:06:00 PM  
Blogger Daricia said...

i am cracking up at your little guy! kids are hilarious. i agree with renee about the kid's cafe. sounds like a great idea!

Monday, September 21, 2009 8:05:00 AM  
Anonymous kat said...

you could do like Chopped one day. give him a raw, un-cleaned fish, a pomegranite, some bran and asparagus.

Thursday, September 24, 2009 2:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home