Tuesday, September 15, 2009

She's crafty and she's just my type

Once a month Target sponsors Free Family Saturdays at the JANM-Japanese American National Museum. This event featured their new Kokeshi Doll exhibit which is so amazing, you just have to see it. I think I like these new exhibits because they teach you about the history, show you artifacts and then the end of the exhibit features modern artists versions, it's fabulous. The art exhibit from Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park was also just opened, I have been really wanting to see that but it features some 'explicit material'. No go for the kids, I'll just go with O.G. later, heh.

If you remember the last time we went to one of these it was Superhero themed - this one was 'crafts' which I thought was pretty cool. They made kokeshi dolls, aprons, bookmarks, journals, drums, WHEW. To top it all off they also had a 'cooking' make and take and made fruit roll up pouches. Huh. Didn't sound appealing to me but the kids ate it up.

It's amazing what kids can come up with when you just let them run free and create. It's an inspirational way of looking at art. I got some good ideas for a new project, just by watching the Kid draw, thanks Kid!

I love that all of this was FREE. There was a lot for the kids to do. So much that we had to stop, eat lunch, then go back in for more. They were WORN out, but we couldn't leave downtown without getting mochi of course. I noticed that the mochi store now carries...wait for it...Mochi filled with GELATO. A new take on mochi ice cream. YUM. We'll be back for that next time.

More museum day pics, here.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Just call me Mommie Dearest said...

You make me abhor the fact that I live in Alabama.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Hilary said...

Cookies & cream mochi lato???? YUM!

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 9:17:00 AM  
Blogger bethany actually said...

Oh, cool! I actually know what koskeshi are, because my friend Meg has a collection of them from when she lived in Japan. (See photo here.)

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 9:37:00 AM  
Blogger Jen14221 said...

You always do so many cool things with your kids. I feel like a total schlub.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:18:00 PM  
Blogger lilsprinkles said...

let me know when you go again! it looked like the boys had so much fun! was it crazy crowded though?

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:21:00 PM  
Blogger Shari said...

We have a place by us called "Mochilato" and I pretty much live there. You can understand why.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home