Monday, September 21, 2009

Used to be a sweet boy

As a supporter of pop/modern art, I am a big fan Wayne Thiebaud - he is most well known for drawing pies and cakes and sweets - a man after my own heart. When I heard the Norton Simon Museum was having a Thiebaud exhibit, I couldn't wait to go. But wait. Pasadena - in the middle of this summer heat wave? Forget it.

But they won me over by the fact that they were having a 'family day' that celebrated and discussed the art of Thiebaud. The premise was that the kids were to make their own 'sweet confections', paper cakes as it were using die cuts, glue and paper. Sold!

We got there only to find out that the exhibit was SMALL, just one room - which was really disappointing, also disappointing was the fact that the craft set up was outside and despite the shade, the soaring 90 degree temps quickly did me in. Not the kids though, they got really into it.

The always super-anal organized Kid made perfectly balanced boxes of cake, with sides of equal and complimentary colors. The Baby was more free form in thought and his design concept revolved around...whatever was within reach. Both cakes, two different approaches, came out stunning. Lovely little paper cakes.

Perhaps it's being in a new class or maybe that he's going to turn 4, but the Baby has really started loving art - maybe seeing the Kid and I draw together everyday finally hit home. He seems to have found his voice artistically so it was nice that now he loves doing these art projects with me just as much as the Kid.
Despite the heat, I think it was a great craft that tied in perfectly with the art exhibit - and it's something that we can continue at home on our own. The Thiebaud exhibit is small, but the Norton Simon has gorgeous grounds, I recommend it if you are looking for a good museum to go to on the weekend.

More Norton Simon - Thiebaud kids day pics, here.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger The Food Librarian said...

This looks like a lot of fun. The crafts are cute. I'll have to go...after the Santa Anas kill us.

Monday, September 21, 2009 5:39:00 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

I love their different approaches to art. What great artists, just like their Mom!

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:16:00 AM  
Anonymous kat said...

reminds me of the time we got all excited about Chihuley at the Eiteljorg in Indy. teeny exhibit, but I learned he was inspired by Indian blankets from Taos NM. almost made up for it...

Thursday, September 24, 2009 2:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home