Thursday, October 22, 2009

All that and a bag of chips

Unfortunately I have a lot of friends that are laid off. We often joke that in some ways it's great because we get to go places during the week that we'd never get to otherwise. One of those places that I've always wanted to visit is Mendocino Farms. A farm? In downtown L.A.? Hardly. It's an artisan sandwich shop and check out the hours: Mon - Fri 11am to 3pm. That's tough.

Luckily I have nothing to do and am ALWAYS downtown. It's located in the Cal Plaza Water Court and it's a tiny place with a long line, but the sandwiches are worth it. Wow are they worth it. Not only is the food good, but the restaurant is one of only a few Certified Green Restaurants in the United States. They put care into their way of living as well as their food.

Just to torture myself I get their daily newsletter sent to my email, it tells the specials of the day as well as reminds you of the 'Secret Sandwich' of the month. This month is a Peanut Butter sandiwch, but their way: Housemade Peanut Butter with caramelized bananas, applewood smoked bacon, crushed honey roated almonds and green apples on a panini pressed ciabatta. That's some sandwich. Instead I went with the pulled pork. I find it hard to resist pulled pork anytime I see it on a menu, maybe because I make my own so often for parties, I always want to try everyone else's.

This one was GREAT. "Roasted shredded pork in a chipotle BBQ sauce, applewood bacon, house made pickles, farm house cheddar, farm slaw, crispy fried onions, side of chipotle ranch.." Heavenly. The menu ingredients always sound overwhelming but they all come together perfectly. The flavor pairings always seem to magically come together in every bite.

I decided to walk off my sandwich and Grand Central Market is just a lllooonnnggg staircase down to 4th street. I can't wait for them to fix Angel's Flight, let me tell you. Lay to the Z, that's me. I've been coming to the Market for years - starting back when my Grandparents used to take me as a kid. While it's been updated and the vendors have changed - you can still buy a giant jug of MSG...
What the? Forget migraines, you'd just be dead smelling it. There were also aisles of chiles, herbs and yummy pan dulce. But I wanted to stop by the new Lemonade at MoCA - so I hiked it back up to Grand (I cheated and took the escalator) and stopped in the new space. Their $1 cupcakes are the perfect price, but they are so good it left me wanting more.On the way back to the car I saw a building I worked on way back when - so I stopped by to see how it's upkeeping. Is it creepy to stand and stare at a building you helped design? According to security, YES. So I moved along. Walking among the suits was funny. I used to be one of them, and sometimes, I do miss it. Other times - I'm happy to have my sandwich and not have to rush back to an office.

More Downtown pics, here.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger L.A. Story said...

I haven't tried Lemonade yet, but I'm definitely up for $1 cupcakes.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home