Thursday, October 29, 2009

He coulda won a Grammy.
Buried in his jammies.

Steve Martin - banjo master. It's not what comes to mind when you hear the name Steve Martin, but it's true. He's been playing the banjo for over 45 years and last night I saw him perform at the Walt Disney Concert Hall.

My mother LOVES Steve Martin. I remember listening to his 1970s comedy album because we had it on vinyl. All of his movies, his humor - doesn't every family regularly quote Three Amigos? Ok, maybe just us, but that could just be because we are weird.

To me, Steve Martin is L.A.'s native son, and it's what I love about him. He is from here, his first job was at Disneyland, his jokes and movies are L.A. based - it's like a big inside joke and it's fun to laugh with him.

But his banjo skills are beyond impressive. I know, people think banjo and they think of a horrible twang, but this album - The Crow: New Songs for the Five-String Banjo - is just well, lovely. The songs are catchy and happy and smooth. You can't help but smile when you hear it.
The Walt Disney concert hall is a wonderful venue and not just because of the architecture, but the acoustics are crazy inside. It is so quiet you can hear people walking to their seats. The music fills the space as if the concert was just for you.

His banter in between songs showed off what he is known for, his comedy. It was endearing and and inviting part of the whole show and I think it really gave you insight into a very talented man who knows when to laugh at himself. Especially when he said, "My wife named this song. It's called: "When are you going to stop playing the goddamn banjo."

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger bethany actually said...

"Would you say there is a *plethora* of pinatas?"

We also quote The Jerk a lot. "I'm picking out a thermos for you..."

I'm jealous you got to see Steve Martin in such an awesome venue. And now I'm going to check out the album!

Thursday, October 29, 2009 4:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Andrea (Off Her Cork) said...

Of course I totally just looked up the King Tut song on YouTube and laughed myself silly. I have a 45 of it! :D

I had no idea he played the banjo, that is all kinds of awesome!

Thursday, October 29, 2009 7:09:00 AM  
Anonymous poppy said...

I remember seeing an HBO(?) production of his banjo concert before I even knew he was a comedian! He's crazy talented and one of my favourite performers.

Thursday, October 29, 2009 8:03:00 AM  
Blogger Lorena said...

My husband regularly quote the "Three Amigos" to one another! It's funny and sad in a movie-nerd kind of way. Sounds like an awesome concert!

Thursday, October 29, 2009 8:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Dawn C. said...

Lucky! I didn't know about his banjo playing until a few years ago. I love Steve Martin. I saw him on Letterman a few weeks ago. Can't believe I missed this.

Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:44:00 AM  
Blogger dapotato said...

he's so multi-talented. i also love him because of the native son stuff. :)

Thursday, October 29, 2009 10:22:00 AM  
Anonymous kat said...

think it was SNL when he proved you can't play anything depressing on a banjo "murder, and death..."

I felt the same way when my mom & I saw The Smothers Brothers. I toally forgot Tommy was the yoyo man!

Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:47:00 PM  
Blogger TaraMetBlog said...

I love Steve Martin too, next time I'll go with your mom ;) I actually saw and blogged about Steve playing the banjo a few months ago when I saw him in a concert. He's really good, but I admire his wit the most. Have you read his books?

Thursday, October 29, 2009 10:25:00 PM  
Blogger SAJ said...

I did not know that! Now I love him even more.

Friday, October 30, 2009 6:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home