Sunday, October 11, 2009

The only reason that they don't smirk 'cuz they know I'm the queen of the cool jerk

It was my friend Paul's birthday - he is a great artist and one of the characters in his strip Cool Jerk, is called Armpit (Yes, Armpit.) - and I thought to myself, what if I drew his character...in chocolate? What? Normal people don't think about drawing in chocolate everyday? Just me? Huh.

Copying someone else's work is always interesting. At the first architecture firm I worked at when I was 16 - my boss made me copy buildings by hand (granted there were no computers then, so how else would I do it). I thought it was boring, but I realized you can learn a lot about an artist by copying their work. Their lineweights, their thought process, I think it helps you develop your own style too.I printed out a picture of Armpit, then reversed the images in photoshop - why? Because I knew that I was going to flip the chocolate when it was done and I wanted it to read correctly. (Stick with me, here.) I taped a piece of parchment on top, then I simply melted some chocolate chips, put it in a piping bag and went to work. Here's where I realized I had made a mistake. Armpit's lineweights were a bit too delicate to work with the melty chocolate.

I let the chocolate dry, then melted some white chocolate and piped a big thick layer on top. I suppose I could have done this neater but I was experimenting, see. Yeah...that's it. Anyway - after covering the chocolate with white chocolate, I popped them in the freezer for a few minutes, once I took them out I just slipped them off the parchment, turned them over and VOILA - the faces appeared!They came out a little sloppy but very cute. I'm sure I will be trying this again cause it was a lot of fun. If the story ended here that'd be great and I'd give myself a pat on the back except...I still had to ship these cupcakes to San Diego. Yikes. Probably a dumb idea to make something fragile for a birthday gift to ship, but I also wanted to see how the post office would handle it. I packed up the box like crazy and sent it on it's way to Paul for his birthday...but did Chocolate Armpit (my new band name) make it intact?

Absolutely not. Wow. Talk about a disaster. When Paul sent me the picture it was pretty painful to see. I suppose it's my fault for attempting to ship it anyway, but sometimes your friends just don't live close by. Sad. Although I'm fairly sure the postal carrier delivered it...like THIS.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Darlene said...

I had a sneaking suspicion for ONE SECOND that before you mailed it off, you kicked the box for fun.

The cupcakes were delicious anyways and were eaten within three hours of receiving it.

Sunday, October 11, 2009 9:47:00 AM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Oh no!!!!

I'm still quite impressed with your choco skills.

Sunday, October 11, 2009 11:14:00 AM  
Blogger bethany actually said...

Oh, wow! I seriously want to try that drawing-with-chocolate method, because HOW COOL IS THAT!? I suppose it's a really common method for bakers to do something like that? But I just don't know because I don't watch a lot of cooking shows. So I'm highly impressed at your skills. And I actually said, "Ouch!" out loud at the last photo.

Sunday, October 11, 2009 9:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Haha that's so clever! I want to do something like that :P

Monday, October 12, 2009 5:14:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

As sad as that last photo potentially is, I know first hand how delicious your cupcakes are even when smashed beyond belief! ; )

Monday, October 12, 2009 3:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home