Friday, October 23, 2009

Three Apples: Hello Kitty's 35th anniversary party

So last night was my typical Thursday. Press photos, all you can eat cupcakes, partied with Paris Hilton - the norm. Ok, in no way was it my typical night but that WAS what happened last night.

I got a special invite to the VIP opening night party for the Three Apples - Hello Kitty exhibit at the Royal T Cafe in Culver City. It's Hello Kitty's 35 anniversary and to celebrate they are doing it up big with an art exhibit and limited edition products.
The show is so well curated. There's a very thorough history of Hello Kitty products mostly from the 1970s, which I have to say - I had/have most of them. Yikes.
Then you move on and there are modern interpretations of Hello Kitty from various artists. The work is so well done. Simply amazing!

Since Royal T is a maid cafe, the maids were serving food with a little added touch, cute custom made Hello Kitty socks, backpacks and a giant bow in their hair. An homage to Hello Kitty herself. Even the guests were dressed up!
There were hors d'oeuvres, cupcakes, and even candy girls walking around handing out candies to everyone. And also cake, YUM. Strawberry, vanilla and chocolate. All I ate was sweets of course.

The amount of media coverage was crazy, to say it was star-studded would be an understatement. I saw Japanese rock stars, Dave Navarro, but when Paris Hilton and Kimora Lee Simmons showed up it was pure chaos. CHAOS. The papparazzi went nuts and there was barely room to breathe.
The swag they gave was fabulous, but the store was stocked with limited edition items and never before seen things. I felt a little weird toting my Tokidoki bag while looking at Tokidoki merch while the creator of Tokidoki, Simone Legno, was standing right behind me.

Hello Kitty is well loved and everyone wanted to get in on the action, at times there was barely room to move.

video

Sanrio people did a fantastic job pulling this exhibit together, it is a must see! The exhibit is free and open to the public starting today through November 15th. The cafe will be serving special Hello Kitty menu items and there are special events on the weekends (Hello Kitty GOTH party, anyone?), which you can bet will be crazy crowded, but so worth it.

**FoodLibrarian's post and much better picture taking...

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Kuism said...

I am soooooo jealous. I have been a Hello Kitty fan since I was in kindergarten. I wish I could of gone! ^^ Glad you had a fantastic time!

Friday, October 23, 2009 8:00:00 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

so jealous! thank you for sharing, looks like you had a fabulous time. i was debating about going this weekend (i hate crowds) but i am definitely going now!

Friday, October 23, 2009 8:05:00 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

I love they have an exhibit for Hello Kitty! Well deserved. I can't believe you're BFFs with Paris Hilton now.

Friday, October 23, 2009 8:44:00 AM  
Blogger msdina said...

OH MAH GAH! So so so jealous!

Friday, October 23, 2009 10:59:00 AM  
Blogger I BLEED PINK said...

You have truly lived my dream!!

Friday, October 23, 2009 11:05:00 AM  
Blogger wan said...

i am literaly squealing over here with excitement, because we're headed out there tomorrow!

Friday, October 23, 2009 11:59:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I am really happy that you got to go, but still verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry jealous! I imagine I'll hear about even more friends who got to go. I guess I need to become more cool or important or something, huh? Not that I need Paris and am sure I'll enjoy the exhibit. I'm excited to see the Luke Chueh stuff and it looks from your photos like Plastic God did some art too. FUN!!!!!

Friday, October 23, 2009 12:11:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I never really understood the Hello Kitty phenomenon, but this looks super fun even I want to go.

ps Just realized you haven't been doing The Office recaps [sad face]

Friday, October 23, 2009 1:40:00 PM  
Blogger jami said...

the cupcakes came from hotcakes! they were working on them yesterday when i was catering. the royal-t people come in every day for baked goods.

Friday, October 23, 2009 3:54:00 PM  
Blogger alexis said...

Oh my goodness.. I am in HK Heaven! Where do you get a Hello Kitty Roomba? I also love the Hello Kitty golf club. I would actually start playing if I could get that!

Friday, October 23, 2009 7:51:00 PM  
Blogger Yum-e said...

awesome post and awesome party! you get invited to the neatest stuff! Loved your post and FL's too! nice pics and I can count on you to take the celeb pics. :) Thanks for the fix, haha. I wonder what HK thing you didn't have that they were askin' for? Cuz you've got everything!

Friday, October 23, 2009 11:48:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

awesome! Kimora sure towers doesn't she? Paris is pretty tall herself if I'm not mistaken.

I almost bought a hello kitty school supply pack from a dollar store a couple of decades ago that had a hello kitty box cutter. dang...

Saturday, October 24, 2009 12:02:00 PM  
Blogger Flying Giggles and Lollipops said...

Looks like way too much fun! I love Hello Kitty and am so happy that my daughter is starting to ask to go to the "Hello Kitty store" now. With her in mind, I have an even better reason to buy all that fun stuff.

Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home