Friday, November 06, 2009

Good morning hustlers that's if you're still living

Breakfast for dinner is my go-to around here. The kids just LOVE it and it's pretty much a guarantee that all the food will be eaten. That and it's so darn comforting.

I like big breakfasts so I usually have a lot of things going at once. Waffles, potatoes, eggs - bacon is a must, but frying it? UGH. Not only is it messy but when I have a lot of pans going the last thing I want it to be attacked by popping bacon greaze.

The next best thing is to bake it in the oven. No. Wait. The BEST thing is to bake it in the oven. No popping grease, no mess, and crispy crispy bacon.

I like to use thick Applewood smoked bacon, it has the best flavor and is pretty hearty. My trick? I have two secret tricks...one of them is to drizzle the bacon with a little syrup before you bake it. The other is to twist the bacon so that you don't have to stop in the middle and turn the suckers. I'm a busy woman, no time for turning! It's so good, you can't beat the flavor combo, I promise.

I served up the bacon with some bat-shaped French Toast. What could be more festive for a Halloween dinn...um, I mean breakfast.

Cut-it-out French Toast recipe
Maple Syrup Bacon recipe

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger bethany actually said...

Twisting the bacon, that's brilliant! Baking bacon (heh) is the only way I've cooked it for years, but it's never occurred to me to twist it. I'm totally trying that next time.

Friday, November 06, 2009 12:29:00 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

Warning!! Be careful when taking pan out of the oven - lots of HOT grease in the cookie sheet. I know this cuz I torched my foot a month or two ago when I tilted the pan as I pulled it out of the oven.

Even with the inherent danger (or my clumsiness), I agree it is the best way to cook bacon.

Friday, November 06, 2009 7:45:00 AM  
Blogger me said...

awesome bacon! I will have to try the twist & syrup next time. I have to say I love reading your headlines and trying to guess which lyric or line it might be..always a fun little guessing game! :

Friday, November 06, 2009 7:57:00 AM  
Blogger Lorena said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Friday, November 06, 2009 9:21:00 AM  
Blogger Lorena said...

Nice! I'm going to have to convince the hubby that he should cook his bacon in the oven -- he's of the "fry it on the stovetop" persuasion.

And we had breakfast for dinner last night, too. Since I had some greens I needed to use, I'm scrambled 'em up ('cause I'm healthy like that) and had them alongside some hash browns. Hubby added the requisite sausage to his plate. It's good, simple and requires little thinking (which is just what you need some weeknights when it comes to dinner making)!

Friday, November 06, 2009 9:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Babs said...

I bake mine too! And I sprinkle it with a little brown sugar.

Friday, November 06, 2009 6:24:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

I'll have to find my wire thingies. but I need to for thanksgiving anyway. worth a try tho I am the type to tip that hot grease all over me. we just do thick cut maple bacon.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:10:00 PM  
Blogger Yum-e said...

you are genius! I am in awe along with the others about the twisting...awesome and cool. How funny though, I hadn't cooked bacon in a million years and I just cooked it this past weekend! I cooked maple bacon and the house smelled like maple bacon for days. My husband loved it! Thanks for the twisting tip - gonna try it!

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 10:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home