Sunday, November 15, 2009

If ever I believe my work is done, then I start back at one

Turning one is a big deal in some cultures. With family from Hawaii - I can tell you that my kid's parties were no exception. But I'm beyond that now, so it's fun to watch other people go through the same process.

This weekend I got to make the cupcakes for a little girl's big 1st birthday party. 120 of them to be exact. It was ladybug themed AND pink, which was so very cute.
I made fondant ladybug cupcakes, polka dot sparkly green cupcakes and pink cupcakes. Yes, I overcame my fear (temporarily) and did something with polka dots. You probably won't be seeing that happen again. For some reason varying sizes of dots don't bother me, but the same size does - so I went with the former. I think they came out super cute.

Whenever I bake something new I always sketch out my ideas, and I knew I wanted these to look a certain way, therefore they'd take a lot of fondant. A LOT. I haven't rolled that much fondant in a long time and I sort of...can't feel my arms. The ladybugs themselves were over 180 pieces. Ow.

The cupcakes were red velvet and I think they went perfectly with the ladybug theme. The mom of the birthday girl made the awesome cupcake toppers, which made the cupcakes even more festive. Happy first birthday - here's to many more!

Ladybug fondant how-to, here.
Sparkly Dot cupcake how-to, here.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Just call me Mommie Dearest said...

Those are great. I (stupidly) made my first attempt at fondant this weekend with a marshmallow fondant recipe and a handhelp mixer. I must have hit my crackpipe 5 minutes prior. Seriously. I either need a standing mixer or to get over my desire to ever make a nice looking cake.

Monday, November 16, 2009 3:26:00 PM  
OpenID lilsprinkles said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! They turned out fab!! My girl loved them :) BTW, your cupcake seriously saved her from having a meltdown.

Monday, November 16, 2009 3:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home