Monday, November 02, 2009

Jim: Yes, I am the popular networking site known as Book Face.

Halloween was weird this year. It didn't feel like it was a big deal, and I think the neighborhood agreed. No one had their lights on, a lot of houses were up for sale and empty anyway. One house that did have his porchlight on answered and said, "OH. Uh, I don't have anything" as if he had no idea it was Halloween. Oh well.

Despite all that, we spent a nice time at block party playing with friends until the sun went down. Eventually we did hit some houses who were in the spirit. I constantly had to remind the kids to SPEAK UP and say the words 'trick or treat' and 'thank you'. There's nothing ruder than a kid just standing there with a bag open, good lord. We ran into a lot of nice people and I guess the high would be the people who gave out GIANT PIXIE STIX, and the low would be the dude who gave out toothbrushes with the address of his orthodontics office. Come on, man.

Dragging around two kids by myself was exhausting. The Kid didn't want to go anywhere "scary" i.e. dark - hello it's nighttime, sucka. And the Baby, well he was just losing steam. Slowest. Flash. Ever. Eventually I gave up and we made our way to O.G.'s house. I suppose I got the best trick or treat prize cause she gave me an 1/8th of an already eaten sandwich and a pickle....What.

I told the Kid that they couldn't eat the candy til I looked at it and separated it all. No peanuts, you know. So when I came back to the kitchen apparently he took it upon himself to separate it all, complete with signs. I could not stop laughing. "Really bad" was the stuff with peanuts. "Kind of good" was the chocolate (that the Baby could eat) and you can guess the "Good Stuff" according to him, was for him - gummies, tootsie rolls, sweet tarts - anything without chocolate or peanuts.The best part about this weekend was Daylight Saving. For the first time ever, the kids actually SLEPT IN, instead of the reverse and I got to rest until a very late 6:30am!! Which is really 7:30, but who's counting, I'll take all the zzz's I can get.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger The Food Librarian said...

We gave out full size snickers bars. (Sorry, that would be in the REALLY BAD pile). I had a middle schooler come up with friends while ON HIS BLACKBERRY. I told him to hang up the phone when trick or treating, dude.

Monday, November 02, 2009 5:15:00 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I had to laugh at the toothbrush guy ... would have loved to see the looks he got from the kids!

Monday, November 02, 2009 5:45:00 AM  
Blogger shizzknits said...

I really did LOL at the sandwich comment...

And I love the signs!

Monday, November 02, 2009 8:29:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

In the neighborhood I lived in when I was trick-or-treating age, one of the old ladies gave our pennies and another gave the tiny boxes of raisins. LAME. I would rather have gotten a toothbrush.

Monday, November 02, 2009 12:28:00 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

I swear the Kid and Evan are twins separated by blogs. I'm so impressed by the Kid's handwriting and spelling!

Monday, November 02, 2009 3:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Heather said...

The kids signs are too cute!! I know for some reason this year Halloween just didn't seem the same in Hawaii either. Not as many kids out on the streets, and not too many houses with lights on. The kids still had fun, but even they were starting to complain about all the walking they were having to do at the end of the night! Geez, I don't ever remember complaining about getting free candy! Halloween seems to be losing its cool!

Monday, November 02, 2009 5:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

hehe you got an 1/8 of an already eaten sandwich? How funny! I used to sort lollies when young too, it was very important work ;)

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 12:29:00 AM  
Anonymous kat said...

if you all don't label yourselves you get what you get.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 3:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home