Sunday, November 29, 2009

La-di-da-di, we like to party

Saturday was the USC v. UCLA game and I threw a party with LOTS of food. It's all about the food. A party can be decked out, but if you don't put effort into good tasting food - FORGET IT.

My friend and his two kids were here from Hawaii so I invited all of our old local college buddies over. Coincidentally everyone is originally from Hawaii and while I try to see everyone fairly regularly, all of us haven't been in a room together in about 14 years. Back then you we wouldn't have guessed we'd all have kids running around.

While it was really about the game, the Baby thought it was about his birthday. Ok...sure it was. So I sort of integrated Batman into the party. I made more Bat-snacks (M&M cookies this time), and I made the same Batman favors, but this time I made little personalized blank cards with the kid's names.

Now, at the Baby's school-party I had made cupcakes and I didn't think anything of it til he said, "Where was my birthday cake?" Um, oops. So I told him I'd make him one hoping he'd forget but instead he said, "Make it Cookies n Cream." Sheesh. What a dicatator.

Batman towered above fondant-Gotham while I served up the rest of the menu:

Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Not-Zippy's Chili
Fruit Salad
Broccoli Salad
Spam Musubi
Veggies
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Pretzels, Goldfish, M&M cookies
Batman Gotham City cake (how-to, here)

The party didn't end until late and the kids went to bed around 11:30pm. (They normally go to bed at 8!) The kids were still going full blast, but us adults? We were kind of dazed. It was nice to see everyone again, but man, college was a long time ago - we are all old now.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Heather said...

sorry your zippy's chili didn't come out quite like zippy's! being from Hawaii, we all love zippy's chili, there's nothing like it! I think I have a recipe from the Honolulu Advertiser that's supposed to be the closest thing to it. I can email it to you if you'd like! Also, how'd you do the hawaiian fried chicken?

Monday, November 30, 2009 6:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home