Monday, December 21, 2009

I'm just a bill, and I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill

Well, the vacation didn't quite go...as planned. Four out of five days I was lying in bed sick as a dog, never even left the hotel - only to end up in the hospital. Only after an EKG, chest xray, blood work and an IV of fluids - was I finally was able to stand up again...just in time to get on a plane home. Can I get a break up in here?? Ugh.

We went to Washington D.C. because O.G. loves it there - it has some of the best museums in the county and she loves to wander through as many as she can. Also it was one of the few places she would agree to travel to. I was only well enough to go out for ONE day, and thankfully O.G.'s love of tour bus rides made it possible for me to see almost everything in the city before I was down for the count.We saw the Capital and the White House, Georgetown and the museums. My mom is a member of the American Indian Museum, something I have NO interest in that is until I found out their restaurant - Mitsitam - is known for some of the best food in the city. No joke, it was really good. It served up traditional Indian foods at different stations, from salmon, to buffalo burgers, tacos, tamales - just really flavorful food.My favorite thing and one of the only things I really wanted to see was the Lincoln Memorial. It was breathtaking. So amazing to finally see in person. Right across was the reflecting pool for the Washinton Monument. This was right before the storm was about to hit - so the skies were clear and perfect but it was increasingly cold. The pool was just starting to freeze over. I saw a kid throwing chunks of the into the water so I had to do the same of course because I am also 5.
O.G. also loves monuments. Her goal on this trip was to see the Japanese American Internment camp monument, as well as almost alllllll the others. The war memorials were the most touching and disturbing. My heart breaks for all those people who died, it's scary to see so many names of young people who went off to war so long ago.

It's a city I'd love to go back to, maybe next time I'll actually be able to leave the room. Good thing I take a lot of pictures, since other than the first day, you'd just see me in bed vomiting. Ah, vacation memories...

More Washington D.C. pics, here.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger bethany actually said...

Getting sick and an ER visit? Ack, that does not sound like fun. I'm glad you managed at least one day of touring.

I immediately recognized the photo of the American Indian Museum. When we lived in Southern MD and we were visiting D.C. for touristy purposes, we would park near there because there was usually decent parking and we could stop in the museum and use the bathrooms. Hey, with a toddler these things are important.

Monday, December 21, 2009 1:17:00 AM  
Blogger dapotato said...

glad to hear you're feeling better.

oh, and i like your fingerless gloves.

Monday, December 21, 2009 4:25:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I'm so sorry you have been so sick, especially during vacation. : (

I miss D.C. a lot. When I was a kid and lived in Virginia, my grandmother lived in Arlington, just outside so we got to see and do lots. I distinctly remember driving by the White House and seeing Amy Carter playing on the front lawn.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home