Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Is it worth it, let me work it

Christmas means nothing...nope, it's all about New Year's day for me. That's the day I work hard and plan for.

So in preparation for New Year's we went over to thefoodlibrarian's house for mochi making. Her family and mine are practically related - so it was a big ol' family affair. Let me tell you about Japanese Americans. Our holidays revolve around mochi and Mexican food. That's just the way it is.

The annual mochi-fest was so much fun. We steamed, formed and packaged over 250 POUNDS of fresh mochi. Can you believe it?? It was a lot of fun but I was exhausted. The old people were the ones holding it down all day, I could barely stand after about an hour. Me=lay-z.We ate lunch, formed mochi, ate some more and then ate some more. I was covered in mochiko from head to toe. It was tiring but there is nothing, NOTHING as delicious as freshly made mochi.

By mid-day I couldn't take it anymore and I hid in the kitchen with foodlibrarian's mom. She was sick so she had an excuse. I was just sick of it. So I just sat with her and ate enchiladas and cookies until my pants were tight. Everyone else worked really hard, and for our - I mean their hard work, we got a giant tray of FRESH mochi for my New Years Day party. Ah, the fruits of labor!

Mochi making process, here.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger The Food Librarian said...

Welcome to the family! Come by next year to be a catcher and hold hot dough in your hands. Oh yeah...and bring the cupcakes again. :) It was great having you and thanks to your in-laws for all their hard work! - mary

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 11:18:00 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

You're a better Japanese than I am. We just go to the store and stock up on mochi.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 1:14:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

ok, I have a rambling question that you may not have an answer to - about mochi. it's rice flour. ok, so that means it should be glutin (aka wheat) free (which is good for my dad).

when I've had it it was springy, which is totally not like any glutin free recipe we've tried. mom's become quite the mad scientist with the guar gum and xantham whatever just to get some sort of leavening.

it's just confusing to me. I guess the question to you is - you don't put anything special into your mochi recipes to make them so appealing (fluffy/springy) do you? everything simple we make comes out flat.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:31:00 PM  
Blogger keri said...

you are lucky to still do this. like kathryn, my family just buys mochi. luckily, we live right by sakura-ya so we get the good stuff. but, there's something to be said for homemade komochi.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:40:00 PM  
Blogger joanh said...

wow that is a lotta mochi! pretty awesome. my dad likes to make it from scratch and pair it with ground peanuts and sugar which is yummy warm. more taiwanese style than japanese, but still good

Thursday, December 31, 2009 1:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home