Monday, December 28, 2009

This year, to save me from tears, I gave it to someone special

Christmas ended up being pretty good. Totally not planned. Totally relaxed. I just sat back and let O.G. do whatever she wanted which was probably the best idea anyway - but don't tell her that.

We didn't eat anything fancy, just our family favorites. O.G.'s famous flank steak, ham, fried chicken, potato salad, spinach salad, wonton and jello.

The Baby got the coolest gift - I come from a family of seamstresses and my aunt made the Baby an amazing Batman cape, complete with hood, ears and gold Batman symbol. The thing is heavy and almost looks like leather. Considering she only sees him once a year she sized it perfectly. Amazing.

I was in charge of dessert and since there was so few of us, I just wanted to make something quick and slice-able. When I was a kid I remember making Buche de Noel with my mom. They can be overly complicated, but I just wanted to do a simple version, one that the kids would enjoy as well, so no chestnut cream or fancy meringue mushrooms, just lots of chocolate whipped cream. Yum.

It was quick to make and my MIL watched with big eyes, wondering what the hell I was doing. I've now converted her to roll cakes, since I showed her how easy it really is.

I gotta say, I'm glad the drama of Christmas is over I am ready to move on, bring on New Years!

Buche de Noel recipe
Christmas Broken Glass Jello recipe

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

I'm glad it turned out okay. It sounds pretty darn good to me, in fact. I always learn about interesting foods on your site which I'm sure everyone knows about. I've never heard of Buche de Noel, much less know how to say it!

Monday, December 28, 2009 9:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Kelly Parkhurst said...

Hey Jenn!
Do you have a recipe for OG's flank steak? If so, can you post it or email it to me? I'm craving it.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 12:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home